Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

is this a WW1 snake belt

Article about: Hi Guys, I bought a bunch of stuff from a WW2 vet who was in the RCA, and in amongst it all was this snake belt. I heard that they were still wearing these into WW2 and also that it could be

?

Default is this a WW1 snake belt

Hi Guys, I bought a bunch of stuff from a WW2 vet who was in the RCA, and in amongst it all was this snake belt. I heard that they were still wearing these into WW2 and also that it could be Police issue. Can anyone give me an idea on date and country of issue please. Thanks in advance !!is this a WW1 snake beltis this a WW1 snake beltis this a WW1 snake beltis this a WW1 snake beltis this a WW1 snake belt

?

Yes it is and was only issued and worn here in Canada, or was replaced by British web kit when they got to the UK
    Now if that number is 643229 and I think it is, it belongeb to Harvey Hamilton Cole, he was from Barrie Ont and joined the 157th Battn The first infantry Battn they was fully trained at Base Borden

If the number is 643228, then it was used by William John Campbell also from Barrie Ont, and he also was with the 157th, howeve at some point, when the 157th was broken up for other "Combat" units, he became a member of the CE

Sorry for the poor spelling, it's late and I cannot sleep

Hope this helps

Dean O
    Ontario

While that may be a Canadian belt it's worth remembering the leather snake belt was used through out the British Empire. The New Zealand Army used them from about 1900 until WW1. I've got one of those brass buckles in a box somewhere.

?

Thanks Dean for the info, much appreciated. It is Harvey Coles then as the RCA vets name was Cole also. Must be Harvey Coles son. I will post other items I bought soon.

?

Anderson, I was tired when I wrote that, I ment that if it was Canadian, it would have only been issued here in Canada, not when the Troops got to the UK.
    Sorry about that misunderstanding

Dean O
    Canada

CBH
    ?

My snake belt is marked 7771 would that be a Boar-War number ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture is this a WW1 snake belt  

?

Chris, there were 2 CEF Soldiers that had that number, James Henderson Meff,from Scotland and he joined at Valcartie in Sept 1914

The second was Thomas Green from Toronto, he joined Feb 1915
    I do not know which units they joined, or how long they both kept that same low number, however as the full Service files for these men are not yet on line I have no further info

If you have the CEF Roll of Honour, you can look up these names to see if either was Killed or MIA in WW1

Dean O
    Ontario

CBH
    ?

Thanks Dean , I don't have it , but I might be able get to see a copy at Cape Breton Highlanders Museum , I've recently started volunteering there .

?

Chris, James H Meff was KIA Nov 6 1917 while serving with the 2nd Battn CEF. He is Buried in the Passchendaele New British Cemetery

There are 2 Thomas Green 's also listed as KIA, one is RCR the other was with the 3rd Battn, both have a differant Service number, however is it not uncommon for early enlistments to be given a new number if it was found that 2 Members had the same Service Number ( not as uncommon as one might think).
    If you research the 2 Soldiers named Green you might find one of them being the Fellow you are looking for.

Dean O
    Ontario