Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ww2 british canteens!!!!!!

Article about: thanks guys for the info its missing its strap so may pass on it,think i will stick to 1937 khaki stuff,but have learnt something new along the way,regards minnie.

Default Ww2 british canteens!!!!!!

Just a quick question regarding ww2 british water canteens.have pictured 2 examples and wanted to know whether the enamel with leather carrier were made simultaneously along side the metal felt covered type with khaki type webbing?also did the shoulder strap vary?regards minnie.
    Attached Images Attached Images Ww2 british canteens!!!!!!  Ww2 british canteens!!!!!! 

Default Re: Ww2 british canteens!!!!!!

I think the example with the leather straps are WWI. It might pre date the war and be this type ,Carrier, Water bottle, with strap (Mark II), as introduced by LoC 12994, authorised 9 Sep 1905.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Well jerry the sellers stateing canteen made by D^D KH 1942,and thats on the leather so i guess it has to be ww2 unless reissued?entriguing,regards minnie.

So stamped as Aussie issue WWII, interesting as you say.
    Regards,

Jerry

cool jerry so your saying thats an australian production maker then copying earlier ww1 british types as it appears,thanks for the info,regards minnie.

Can you get a picture of the stamps/marking? Hard to comment without seeing the markings. The D/I\D mark is the Aussie war dept acceptance stamp and I think the Aussie's reused some earlier British items during WWII, but hard to be certain how this happened without seeing the markings. Also, as you say, they might have copied earlier British patterns. I looked this up for you on the Great War Forum, but I'll have a look on the NZ militaria site as they cover most things Australian.
    Regards,

Jerry

According to militariaNZ site a lot of pre 08 pattern equipment was used during WWII, by training battalions etc...
    Regards,

Jerry

NCA
    ?

The one on the left reminds me of the Home guard type carrier, minus its strap.The loops are at the sides though.I think its an early pattern canteen as it has a flat top.And the canteen carrier on the left has its securing strap (s?) cut off.

The webbing straps do vary in how they are constructed..some are one piece, some made up of three pieces...depends on the type of looms the makers used and when in the war they were made(war emergency and economy versions.)

Quote by NCA View Post
    The one on the left reminds me of the Home guard type carrier, minus its strap.The loops are at the sides though.I think its an early pattern canteen as it has a flat top.And the canteen carrier on the left has its securing strap (s?) cut off.
    That was an after thought, that it might be homeguard, but why it would have a Aussie acceptance stamp was an enigma to me. Early war they might have used an earlier model, similar/same as the WWI or earlier types.

Home Guard and ATS pattern water bottle carrier
    Regards,

Jerry

NCA
    ?

Looking closer at it the leather carriers loops are bigger than those found on the HG version.I admit that i skimmed through the thread and didnt notice the Aussie markings!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast