MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

WW2 British Tommy helmet

Article about: Have a nice afternoon mates!It will be nice to have your opinion for this nice ww2 british helemt i've just foundMany thanksThe liner i think it's dated 1940

Default Re: WW2 British Tommy helmet

What method are you using to remove the rust ?
    ( - Please don't say: "steel wool".........! )
    Regards,

Steve.

sandpaper mate

AAGGGHHHH ! - any 'history' or value is now gone, IMO.
    Are you going to repaint it.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

Yes,i made some scraches in the inside but i prefer them from the rust

See above post.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Mate i dont think that i have done something wrong to the helmet.When i took off the rust from the outside of the helmet,the colour has been came up is a very light gray.My friend Douglas strongly believes that was a military green before the rust weathered..

Quote by The woodpecker View Post
    Hello mates.Today finally my helmet arrived.The shell is dated 1939 ,made by the EC&Co Ltd(E Camelinat & Co Ltd,Birmingham London.The liner is made by JCS & W Ltd(J.Conpton Sons & Webb Ltd, London Uk) and dated probably 1940 'cause it is double stamped but the liner itself it is the first pattern so 1938 to 1940(I think).To the ''problem' know.As i was searching the liner i found a broadsarrow with a O or a C(i cant see them very good) in the middle( notice that isn't a standard Canadian "C" including a broadsarrow).So can be a Canadian stamp on a UK made liner?! I have to mention that this strange stamp has under it a number 31 or something like this.Many Thanks for your time and helpAttachment 512020Attachment 512021Attachment 512023Attachment 512025Attachment 512026

- - Updated - -

The strange stamp is in the last photo but unfortunatly my camera isn't the best
    Hello mate! You have a nice helmet there (55€ is a bit overpriced i think)... The really intresting about this helmet is the chinstrap!!! These i think are of the WW1 and they are a bit rare!

Good morning patriot.The chinstraps that were used on WW1 by the British was leather.Thanks for your good words.What do you think for Walkwolf's opinion below?

?

Woodpecker Walkwolf is making a very valuable point please keep in mind that once you remove the original paint,finish or patina from a item it damages the historical value of the piece there is a very fine line on what should be a candidate for stripping and restoration
    This is of course is alright in my opinion if the helmet was bought for a restoration project and the intent was to repaint it for the purpose of display IMO if this was the case you paid to much for the helmet as a restoration project.
    I would have held on to my cash and waited for a better example to come along I am still curios as to the paint job that was on the exterior of this helmet can you confirm what color it was actually painted before you sanded it down as it looked almost a desert tan to my eyes with a bit of rust showing and some oxidization to the paint.
    Please do not take my comments out of context as they are meant to be only help full and are said with respect

Regards Mark K

Mate that sand colour was only RUST.I can confirm this from the powder was created.Did you ever seen a helmet painted so bad( the colour was dropping down at many spots)?Also when i sanded it the colour splits were looking as a gold paint.I think that now i prevent the original colour.This is my humble opinion

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast