Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

WW2 British Tommy helmet

Article about: Have a nice afternoon mates!It will be nice to have your opinion for this nice ww2 british helemt i've just foundMany thanksThe liner i think it's dated 1940

Default Re: WW2 British Tommy helmet

I think the helmet was badly repainted postwar, we cant know why. I have never seen an authentic British helmet paint job with paint running down it, and if it looked gold as The Woodpecker says, we can be pretty sure it wasn't desert camo. Of course it very difficult to judge these things from photographs.

Thanks for the info DougYes ,the paint was look like gold at the splits

I think the usual practice with desert camo helmets was to mix sand with the paint which produces a very distinctive textured finish, like my helmet here which has been authenticated on this forum, and unlike the helmet featured in this thread which clearly had thin paint running down the side.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British Tommy helmet   WW2 British Tommy helmet  

The only example of a desert (South African) helmet we have has been painted green by some fool. Got to get onto restoring it at some point.

Is the original finish underneath?

Yes, on the inside, under the liner you can see traces of it. Its had a terrible post war paint job. Here is a lin to it: South African Helmet

Quote by edelweiss123 View Post
    The only example of a desert (South African) helmet we have has been painted green by some fool. Got to get onto restoring it at some point.
    I think I remember reading somewhere that post war they were reissued (repainted) in green. Unless it is a horrible wrong colour green?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Possibly, i think james is still debating whether or not to strip it or not

Quote by edelweiss123 View Post
    Possibly, i think james is still debating whether or not to strip it or not
    I had already commented on it, Doh! I would leave it as is.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Edelweiss I was doing a bit of research this week on my South African mk2 and learned that many 8th army desert-painted lids were overpainted green when the troops were readied for the invasion of Italy after the successful conclusion of the North African Campaign. You never know, your green-painted lid may have been done in the field. If I can find the link I was reading the other day I'll edit it back in this post for you to have a look.

Incidentally, the 70th Anniversary of the end of the North African Campaign was Monday, and the 70th anniversary of the dambuster's raid was yesterday which offers an interesting series of timelines!

Here is the link chum:

Mk.II - South Africa - The Brodie Helmet and its derivatives

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast