MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 Camo Beer Can

Article about: I'm not sure if this is the correct forum area to post this item. But, since it's camouflaged it must be for field use. A Camouflaged Beer Can, I always thought that these were kinda odd. I

?

Default WW2 Camo Beer Can

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum area to post this item. But, since it's camouflaged it must be for field use. A Camouflaged Beer Can, I always thought that these were kinda odd. I guess there is a need to keep your beer hidden from the enemy while getting drunk on the front line. Just thought I'd post the one I have. Thanks, Rob.
    WW2 Camo Beer CanWW2 Camo Beer CanWW2 Camo Beer CanWW2 Camo Beer CanWW2 Camo Beer Can

'Lucky Lager' eh, Rob??
    Lucky for some & not for others I would guess.

Interesting item.
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Lucky lager was brewed using potatoes as a starch source for fermentable sugars during the war as corn and rice became rationed for a time. It apparently didn't affect the taste.....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Very nice find. And a rare WW2 unopened beer can from WW2 USA forces...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

?

Camouflaged or simply wartime economy?

Oz.

?

Ubique, I don't know if it had anything to do with wartime economy. I always thought that green pigment was in high demand by the military during the war. I've always heard of these called camouflaged, never understood why they would need to camouflage beer. I know that numerous breweries made them during the war, someone must have thought there was a need. If anyone has more info, I'd like to know. Thanks everyone, Rob.

?

OK, I am probably miss-reading the photographs. I thought I was looking at plain varnished which had gone green over time.

Nice find!

Oz.

Now owned by Budweiser

Lucky Lager was first commercially introduced in 1934 by the General Brewing Company. The General Brewing Company was founded in San Francisco, California by Eugene Selvage (who would remain owner and CEO until 1961). The following decade saw Lucky Lager grow to be the sales leader in the entire West. Lucky Lager Brewing Company opened a second brewery in Azusa, California in 1949. During the early fifties, a brand slogan was "It's Lucky When You Live in California." It was seen on many billboards in Northern California. The following decade saw Lucky Lager grow to be the sales leader in the entire West. It bought smaller breweries in Vancouver, Washington in 1950 and in Salt Lake City, Utah in 1960.

On 13 July 2008, Inbev merged with Anheuser-Busch and Lucky officially became owned by Budweiser.

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Rob is absolutely correct the cans that were produced for the military and destined to go overseas were done in an olive drab so that they were non reflective here are a few other examples and a rather pristine lucky that shows the finish better.

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Camo Beer Can  

?

Nice cans, Mark! lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast