Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

ww2 fork ID help

Article about: Hi there, I'ts been al while that i have bought something from the ww2. At a fleamarket i couldn't resist to buy me a fork with a 5-digit code in it. I thought it would be a laundry code but

Default Re: ww2 fork ID help

Quote by CakeEater View Post
    That is great of you and I am glad we've got closer to the identification of this fork.
    No problem, that's why I come here, to share the knowledge I have and learn new things from others

The reason I was unsure if this had anything to do with the miltiary is the fact I could not find anywhere online where James Dixon & Son Ltd. was a war contractor/supplier. I did do some brief searching, but could not find anything.
    At the risk of sounding facetious, which is not intended, the manufacturer-applied British government issue mark and 1945 date show it was made on a government contract

Now we just need to find someone who knows how to identify soldier # 35014.
    I wouldn't hold out much hope on that one. The problem with this is that it is very likely a partial number, i.e. the last five digits, so even if you had a complete list of British soldier's numbers and names, it could be any one of hundreds of individuals.

Rob

@ Battery Command Post

Just so I know for future reference...

What is the manufacturer-applied British government issue mark? The arrow?

The DIXON & crown is the James Dixon & Son Ltd. company trademark/hallmark. Which would be standard on all manufactured cutlery.

Thanks

@ Battery Command Post

Just so I know for future reference...

What is the manufacturer-applied British government issue mark? The arrow?

The DIXON & crown is the James Dixon & Son Ltd. company trademark/hallmark. Which would be standard on all manufactured cutlery.

Thanks
    Yes, sorry, the 'Broad Arrow' is the Govt issue mark. It is usually associated with the military, but also appears on all government equipment, including the General Post Office and, of course, HM Prisons. My dad worked for the Post Office, and I remember having pencils, a stapler and other things that he brought home from work with the Broad Arrow on them. I used a lot of them at school, clearly marked as having been stolen from official goverment supply.

Has no-one ever done a thread on issue tableware somewhere on the forum? I would have thought Ade would have covered it by now

Rob

Thanks for that and I will store that little gem of information in my brain for future use.

Cheers

Seems like a fork! However simple and interesting addition to every collection for sure.

Thanks for all the help guys! My ideas about this fork weren't that bad at all. If i could get my hands on the list with persons i would take the efford of finding my bloke.
    Too bad it's that difficult. The fork will have his own private space in my display

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2