Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 shovel, mess kit, and canttens.

Article about: here are some other bits of my collection. first is my uncles step fathers canteens, he fought on saipan. next is what i believe to be an original ww2 shovel, the date is 1944,"AMES&quo

Default WW2 shovel, mess kit, and canttens.

here are some other bits of my collection. first is my uncles step fathers canteens, he fought on saipan. next is what i believe to be an original ww2 shovel, the date is 1944,"AMES". next is a WW2 mess kit, 1945, "LEYSE". I don't know a whole lot about these items so having someone look and authenticate them is always nice!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 shovel, mess kit, and canttens.   WW2 shovel, mess kit, and canttens.  

WW2 shovel, mess kit, and canttens.   WW2 shovel, mess kit, and canttens.  

WW2 shovel, mess kit, and canttens.   WW2 shovel, mess kit, and canttens.  

WW2 shovel, mess kit, and canttens.  

Default Re: WW2 shovel, mess kit, and canttens.

canteens look good, and messkit to.

Shovel is original as for paint I'm not sure by the picture.

Left canteen cover in the second picture is a rare type, then one on the Right.

?

Canteen cover on left in U.S.M.C type with cross flaps. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

NCA
    ?

Nice items.Love the USMC cross-cover!
    The shovel cover looks to be modified with the addition of the strap and buckle on the front and the two vertical straps on the back.Looks like it was done with British 37 pattern webbing bits too...(hate to say rigger modified but...maybe...)

thank you, ill have to tell my uncle of the canteen cover discovery!

?

Quote by NCA View Post
    Nice items.Love the USMC cross-cover!
    The shovel cover looks to be modified with the addition of the strap and buckle on the front and the two vertical straps on the back.Looks like it was done with British 37 pattern webbing bits too...(hate to say rigger modified but...maybe...)
    The only times that I have seen this sort of "mod/alteration" was on Australian/New Zealand issued kit because the metal loop hangers were not compatible with the issued 37ptn W/E. So, bearing that in mind, it is just possible that this entrenching tool cover and spade, was issued to the Aus/NZ forces before, in turn, being "liberated" by your uncle!

Just my 2 pennorth guys.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

?

Just to add

The water canteen cover M1910 is the M1942 dismounted version.

The U.S.M.C. canteen cover is the third pattern or in other words the first cross flap model, this does not have the "drain" hole in the base of the cover, the hole in fact was introduced on the four pattern to help refill the canteen with water, and so you actually used in the field as a make shift funnel.

Finally the Shovel cover is the M1944 model or second pattern type, which was made slightly larger for the new M1945 shovel/pick (not introduce until after WWII) than the original M1943 shovel cover and also had an adjustable hook height at the rear to make the cover more flexible with the M1944 and M1945 Combat field Cargo pack system introduced at the end of WWII.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "