Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 US M1928 Haversack Brass Buckles ???

Article about: Hi Folks...I need some help with a haversack i purchased on ebay. It looks to be unissued and looked really good in the photos. It was described as having a few small rust spots here and the

Default WW2 US M1928 Haversack Brass Buckles ???

Hi Folks...I need some help with a haversack i purchased on ebay. It looks to be unissued and looked really good in the photos. It was described as having a few small rust spots here and there from improper storage however when i got it the rust spots were obviously caused by the buckles which had small areas of rust. The haversack says Boyt 42 on the back I never made the connection with the rust spots on the sack because I assumed the buckles would have been brass since the sack was made in 1942. So finally my question. At what point in time did the straps start coming out with tin buckles (and strap tips as well)or did it depend on the manufacturer. WW2 US M1928 Haversack Brass Buckles ???WW2 US M1928 Haversack Brass Buckles ???

p37
    ?

Default re: WW2 US M1928 Haversack Brass Buckles ???

Hi, I found a haversack which looks like yours. I would like to buy it. Description on the auction is very similar: unused, dirty with rust. It is an oryginal item? Sorry for my English. Best regards.WW2 US M1928 Haversack Brass Buckles ???
    WW2 US M1928 Haversack Brass Buckles ???

Sorry I missed your thread, sadly I cannot help on the date of the hardware. I am sure Nige will be able to help on this one.

Hi P37, welcome to the forum!

Looks original to me.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I believe it is original as well. I also have one of these
    in unissued condition.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Nice piece of kit, other than the rust on theclips/buckles, it looks to be in pretty good condition.

Some years ago, I had a shoulder harness set, cant remember the date stamp on it other than it was eary 1940's, it also had the same/similar problem with rust breaking through on the clips/buckles.
    I cleaned it up with a soft brass wire suede brush. That was then, would I do the same now?........More than likely not and I would probably leave it as is.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

?

There no real date for hardware change, BOYT used a mixture of Brass, Steel and zinc based buckles and fasteners, I also now have and have had in the past one of these 1942 dated packs and they all have the steel tablar slides on, however I’ve just bought a USMC M1941 Pack also made by BOYT in 1942 and this has all Brass based hardware. However my own findings are that most gear made 1918-42 uses a mixture of stamped brass, and cast bronze hardware, after that as with the canvas and webbing colours you get a crossover period from 1942-44 where you get a mixture of Brass, then Steel (Black Oxide, Black Copper Oxide or Parkerized) and then finally painted zinc based castings and stamping. The other factor to take into account are the restrictions imposed on brass and aluminum around about this time, which is the main reason why they phased out brass hardware, although brass hardware did continue in production throughout the war as both Brass and Steel versions of the same item where available, it just that the equipment contract would specify which material type the buckle was to be made of.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "