Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 US Pouches

Article about: Hello, I was wondering what other web belt pouches I should get to add to my WW2 gear? I already have: Compass pouch Holster Canteen cover 1942 Bandage pouch Entrenching tools mag pouches fo

Default WW2 US Pouches

Hello,

I was wondering what other web belt pouches I should get to add to my WW2 gear?
    I already have:

Compass pouch
    Holster
    Canteen cover
    1942 Bandage pouch
    Entrenching tools
    mag pouches for pistol

What else could I add?

I was thinking:
    wire cutters
    three pocket grenade pouch

Also can anybody tell me what the dimensions and color of a K ration are?
    and what was the type of materials would be used,paper cardboard or card stock?

Thanks,
    Michael

?

Default re: WW2 US Pouches

Depending on what impression you're going for I suppose... Unit, rank, role?

Martin

Here are some photos of my current infantry on a "combat patrol" display:
    WW2 US PouchesWW2 US PouchesWW2 US Pouches

In terms of pouches, "he" has:

Garand cartridge belt
    first aid pouch complete with sealed first aid tin
    3 cell grenade pouch
    extra bandolier of Garand ammo
    canteen pouch complete with canteen and cup

I completed the belt with an M1 bayonet and I attached suspenders and a musette bag.

Gasmask, Mess-kit? I like your display!
    cheers, Glenn

Here is some information about the different rations. K's are lower down on the page, after 'D' rations. US Army Rations - World War II
    Also some information about current reproductions: World War Two Ration Technologies K Ration Page

Thanks everyone,

I am almost finished myself with my own WW2 combat rig and I just needed to know what kind of things were on the belt besides the first aid pouch and the canteen because I already have those items.
    Were wire cutters often attached? and what about the bayonets?

Also thanks for the Ration info!

Michael

Default Re: WW2 US Pouches

Hi Michael, wire cutters were not worn by everyone: engineers, signal men etc would be the most likely candidates first, then Infantrymen. But it all depended on what type of mission they were undertaking.

Bayonets were certainly worn if the haversack was not being carried.

Look at period photos to get some ideas.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Michael,

As Ade said, you should consider the "mission" that you want your combat rig to represent. For example, if you are representing an invasion, your rig should have A LOT of stuff on it. If you ever watch Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, or The Pacific, the soldiers are always loaded up with all sorts of gear during the initial invasion. After the invasion, you'll notice that they carry A LOT less stuff.

Once soldiers had a safe rear area, they dropped most of the non-essentials. Instead of lugging around dead-weight that would do them absolutely no good during a firefight, the soldiers concentrated on carrying ammo, grenades, and other gear that would help them accomplish their mission. I had a big conversation with Mo about my display as I was putting it together. He stated that soldiers would often do without the suspenders, AND often they would not carry a bayonet.

Thank you very much for all of your help, from the photos I have looked at the belt and pouches on the belt have been very hard to see so I could not get a good look at what was worn, thank you for the information and help, I am collecting items for my ww2 rig and I found that bayonets and wire cutters were really expensive for somebody my age, so I was kind of happy that those items were not on the belt.

Thanks,
    Michael

Quote by Snake Master View Post
    Thank you very much for all of your help, from the photos I have looked at the belt and pouches on the belt have been very hard to see so I could not get a good look at what was worn, thank you for the information and help, I am collecting items for my ww2 rig and I found that bayonets and wire cutters were really expensive for somebody my age, so I was kind of happy that those items were not on the belt.

Thanks,
    Michael
    Essentially, everything and anything goes. If a soldier wanted to carry every piece of kit and the kitchen sink, he probably did. I know that I wouldn't go anywhere without my bayonet!