Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWI Action Cover

Article about: I got this in today's mail - looking for information about the unit, etc. It is marked M.E. Co. 1914, 19. MAN- 19th Manchester. It also has a tag marked 63rd Regiment of Foot - the pre-WWI u

?

Default WWI Action Cover

WWI Action Cover

WWI Action Cover

WWI Action Cover

WWI Action Cover

WWI Action Cover

WWI Action Cover

I got this in today's mail - looking for information about the unit, etc. It is marked M.E. Co. 1914, 19. MAN- 19th Manchester. It also has a tag marked 63rd Regiment of Foot - the pre-WWI unit designation?

This cover came from a collection that was sold after the owner passed away and they are being sold by IMA USA.

There is also what I assume is a soldier's name and id number - D.I. Foulis 25791

What can anyone tell me about the unit and, perhaps, the name?

Default Re: WWI Action Cover

Nice

The unit is the 19th (Service) Bn, Manchester Regt (4th City), which was a New Army battalion, the fourth of seven raised by the City of Manchester, known as the "Manchester Pals". It fought in the British 30th Division, initially as part of 90th Brigade, but transferred in 1915 to 21st Brigade. It was disbanded in February 1918, along with many infantry battalions due to a huge manpower shortage in the British Army.

A history of 30 Division is here : The 30th Division of the British Army in 1914-1918.

I have a similar one on my SMLE, but not named like that one. Great item

Rob

?

Rob,

Thanks for the great information! It is well worn - just as it should - be a rich in history.

Hi MarkV,

I can find no record of a soldier of that name and number entitled to WW1 medals. IMHO I would be very cautious of the date on your cover. SMLE covers all with WW1 dates of the 'type set' on yours are all over ebay UK and some dealers lists. They are selling between £30 and £60 In reality WW1 SMLE covers are extremely hard to locate There are some pretty firm opinions that the 'ME Co' stamps as on your cover are not WW1. I believe yours to be an original cover but dating to post WW1. On WW1 covers the two eyelts that take the cord that allows the cover to be tied to the weapon are set much further back than on the later WW2 pattern.
    I was burned with one of these several years ago. Only my opinion. If you want some WW1 experts to have another look try the guys here.

Great War Forum

regards

Mark

?

Thanks, Mark. This came out of a group bought by IMA-USA from the estate of a British collector. Here is a link to the description: Military Antiques, Military Collectibles and Militaria British WWI SMLE Cover: Dated & Regimentally Marked IMA-USA.COM

Thanks for the link to the other forum!! I'll check it out.

Mark

Hi Mark,

This thread on the Great War Forum should help.

regards

Mark

WW1 SMLE Breech Cover? - Great War Forum

?

Thanks! I'm waiting for a mod to approve me on the Great War Forum. I'll post the pictures then - interesting that they suggested looking at IMA and up pos my MeCo.
    Last edited by MarkV; 12-29-2011 at 08:32 PM.

Hi Mark, I would seek a refund on this.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Ouch! I wish you guys would have seen and commented on this back when I originally posted it. IMA-USA's policy is returns within 5 days of receipt. I sent them an email asking if they would exchange the cover. We'll see what they say.

This is the second time I've been burned by them - they sent me what was called a WWI Enfield sling that was clearly WWII last year.

Thanks for the feedback guys!! You rock!!

Mark,

Sorry about the delay but as a very new member I just spotted your thread. The source of these is a number of UK outlets. Most WW1 collectors are aware that these have been enhanced by bogus stamps and units-the very black ink used in the unit stamps is particular to these covers.A number were also sold on ebay UK between £20 and 50 about 3 months ago. They were all in a very distressed condition adding to the 'been there' look.

I hope you get return.

Mark

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast