Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Wwii air corp captain curtis h hussa bag. Not sure of era or branch

Article about: Hello everyone, I recently purchased an old leather bag that I Was told was WWII era. The name on the bag reads Captain Curtis H. Hussa 0-290894 AE-200-BP-E I purchased this bag from his gra

lucha23
    ?

Cool Wwii air corp captain curtis h hussa bag. Not sure of era or branch

Hello everyone,
    I recently purchased an old leather bag that I Was told was WWII era. The name on the bag reads Captain Curtis H. Hussa 0-290894 AE-200-BP-E I purchased this bag from his granddaughter and she told me that he was involved with the construction of NORAD and the Air Force Base here in Colorado Springs. I could not verify any of this and i'm not sure where to start looking. Any information about this bag or the man would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for your time!!!
    - RonWwii air corp captain curtis h hussa bag. Not sure of era or branchWwii air corp captain curtis h hussa bag. Not sure of era or branchWwii air corp captain curtis h hussa bag. Not sure of era or branch

Default Re: Wwii air corp captain curtis h hussa bag. Not sure of era or branch

I'm no expert, but it does appear to be 1940's. Looks like a great find.

Regards,

Corey

Hi Ron,

Your guy retired from the service a Lieutenant Colonel. He died in 1993 and is buried in Fort Logan Military Cemetery Denver, Colorado. His wife Janet joined him in 2003. They lived in El Paso County, Colorado. Here's his burial record and plot no. should you wish to pay your respects.

Hussa, Curtis H, b. 08/29/1910, d. 06/23/1993, LT COL USAF, Plot: 3 1615, bur. 06/28/1993

Regards, Ned.
    Last edited by big ned; 06-06-2012 at 03:14 AM.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

lucha23
    ?

Thanks for the info Ned!!!

Quote by lucha23 View Post
    Thanks for the info Ned!!!
    No problem. The base he would have worked on which is today the home of NORAD would be Peterson AFB where construction commenced in 1942. Ironically I transited through there in July 2000 on my way to Chicago from Billings. There were 5 hurricane warnings in the area ( We could see the tops of them from the aircraft) and we had to drop into Peterson to pick up more fuel. Everything in the air around there was on the ground, it was like a fly-in! Military, commercial, light aircraft you name it. Stayed around 2 hours until we got a splash from the fuel truck, security was very tight, no-one was allowed off for any reason at all.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

bwburchett
    ?

Exclamation My connection to Lieutenant Colonel Curtis Hussa

Quote by big ned View Post
    No problem. The base he would have worked on which is today the home of NORAD would be Peterson AFB where construction commenced in 1942. Ironically I transited through there in July 2000 on my way to Chicago from Billings. There were 5 hurricane warnings in the area ( We could see the tops of them from the aircraft) and we had to drop into Peterson to pick up more fuel. Everything in the air around there was on the ground, it was like a fly-in! Military, commercial, light aircraft you name it. Stayed around 2 hours until we got a splash from the fuel truck, security was very tight, no-one was allowed off for any reason at all.

Regards, Ned.
    LC Hussa was based at Randolph Field in 1942 in San Antonio which is the air force. I was looking at my parent's album for a moment and saw pix of the Hussa's. To me they were Uncle curt, Aunt Janet and Ruth Ann. I came up and googled them and found this. Of course they were officers and were not allowed to have much to do with enlisted men. They actually let my parents live in heir home on the base. I have pix of them and Ruthie and my mom and dad. I believe Ruthie looked to be about 6 which would mean she was born around 1936. While at Randolph Field they lived at 92 Main Circle. I was born in 1950 and I remember them coming to my home in Ohio. I saw them several times in the 50's as they stopped in Dayton to see us. Either he and Aunt Janet or Ruthie lived in Dayton for awhile because I remember visiting. He could have been at Wright Pat. They were great to my family. I wish I could ask my Dad about it all....he passed away two years aga. Hope this adds to your investigation!

deepseawolf
    ?

I first met Kurt while working at Colorado College 91-95. He attended Our Saviors Lutheran Church where I also attend for a few years...he played Santa Claus for the the Christmas Play one year that I remember. Kurt had a very interesting role at C.C., you should read about him if you have not already done so. My last conversation with Kurt was passing thru the old Barnes science building in the basement lab...I saw him in uniform that evening and we talked about his WWII experiences, I asked him where he was during that period....for some reason he told me about how he was commanding air-strip and he had lost most of his men to a German air attack...one of the saddest days of his life he said as his eyes stared to tear up...a very emotional moment for the both of us. I was numbed....my father also being a WWII Navy veteran of the Pacific had shared similar stories. I know Kurt passed away during a knee surgery with anesthesia complications. What a warm genuine human being he was and that is how I will remember him. How strange now...I work at Norad.