Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

WWII British General Civilian Respirator Color Question

Article about: I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with the General Civilian Respirator issued to all citizens of Britain during the war. All I have seen from now have been a dark grey/black color. Well, I

Default WWII British General Civilian Respirator Color Question

I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with the General Civilian Respirator issued to all citizens of Britain during the war. All I have seen from now have been a dark grey/black color. Well, I am arranging to buy one in light brown. What gives? I can't find any info on this, but it isn't worth enough for someone to go through the trouble of making a fake I don't think. It is dated 1942, the filter is dark brown/black (hard to tell from photos), and it appears to be lacking the arsenic prefilter so common to these. It has the same issue box as the usual for these masks.

So, rare piece, fake, or just not well documented?

Thanks.

Default Re: WWII British General Civilian Respirator Color Question

Quote by Wot no sugar View Post
    I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with the General Civilian Respirator issued to all citizens of Britain during the war. All I have seen from now have been a dark grey/black color. Well, I am arranging to buy one in light brown. What gives? I can't find any info on this, but it isn't worth enough for someone to go through the trouble of making a fake I don't think. It is dated 1942, the filter is dark brown/black (hard to tell from photos), and it appears to be lacking the arsenic prefilter so common to these. It has the same issue box as the usual for these masks.

So, rare piece, fake, or just not well documented?

Thanks.
    Probably a Canadian example

Rob

Like this?

WWII British General Civilian Respirator Color Question

This one's origin is obvious by the white Canadian govt mark on the container.

Rob

Well it was an eBay auction so I never got a good look at the mark, just what the auction said. Lost the bid anyways. Thanks for the info.

Quote by Wot no sugar View Post
    Well it was an eBay auction so I never got a good look at the mark, just what the auction said. Lost the bid anyways. Thanks for the info.
    You're welcome

Rob