Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

WWII? Military rucksack

Article about: Hey Gents I've been offered this rucksack/backpack from a person who thinks it's ww2 U.S military issue. However, There are no obvious marking that the seller can see. From the looks of it,

Default WWII? Military rucksack

Hey Gents
    I've been offered this rucksack/backpack from a person who thinks it's ww2 U.S military issue. However, There are no obvious marking that the seller can see. From the looks of it, what do you think?
    Regards
    Finn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII? Military rucksack   WWII? Military rucksack  

?

Default Re: WWII? Military rucksack

Hi, It does look very similar to the British bergen, but they had webbing straps & not leather. Maybe this is the Americans version.

Hey Rommel- in my opinion this item may be from the Second World War but is definetly not US, but is a French Foreign Legion backpack. The legion has been using this model for decades- since before the war up until recently ( not sure if they still do). The modern version sports wool padded shoulder straps, so it is safe to say that the pack youve been offered is an early version. Here is a link on a surplus page for the modern version;

FRENCH ARMY COMBAT PACK, Used Exc

I hope this helps you!

-Artur

Hey Artur: This does look very similar to the one in the picture. Thanks very much for the clarification help
    Regards
    Finn

No problem Rommel- I mainly collect WW2 American and this is literally the only foreign item Ive ever come close to buying from the same era.
    Good luck!
    -Artur

Quote by artur95 View Post
    Hey Rommel- in my opinion this item may be from the Second World War but is definetly not US, but is a French Foreign Legion backpack. The legion has been using this model for decades- since before the war up until recently ( not sure if they still do). The modern version sports wool padded shoulder straps, so it is safe to say that the pack youve been offered is an early version. Here is a link on a surplus page for the modern version;

FRENCH ARMY COMBAT PACK, Used Exc

I hope this helps you!

-Artur

gee wiz...

Wow, I think I will buy one.

you could spend twice that on some cheap chinese made back pack........and that old french back pack will probably last another 50 years plus!