Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWII US Belt and Canteen Cover

Article about: I bought some WWII items, two of these items I cannot identify from which era they are actually from. How can you tell the difference from a WWII canteen cover and belt from Vietnam, Korean

Default WWII US Belt and Canteen Cover

I bought some WWII items, two of these items I cannot identify from which era they are actually from.

How can you tell the difference from a WWII canteen cover and belt from Vietnam, Korean war, if there is any. The canteen that is in the canteen cover is marked U.S. A.G.M> CO. 1942. This does not make the cover 1942. The cover seems to have a marking on the side which is not readable anymore, I see no further markings on the cover. The medical pouch on the belt is marked Interdependent. ? 1943 that is attached to the belt, but this too does not make the belt 1943, a slight U.S. is still visible on the belt. In the pouch is what I believe to be a can opener I don't know which era this opener is from.

I would like to ask for help. I'm relative new to WWII items.

Thank you
    Skip

WWII US Belt and Canteen CoverWWII US Belt and Canteen CoverWWII US Belt and Canteen CoverWWII US Belt and Canteen CoverWWII US Belt and Canteen CoverWWII US Belt and Canteen CoverWWII US Belt and Canteen CoverWWII US Belt and Canteen CoverWWII US Belt and Canteen CoverWWII US Belt and Canteen CoverWWII US Belt and Canteen CoverWWII US Belt and Canteen Cover

NCA
    ?

Default Re: WWII US Belt and Canteen Cover

Your cover and belt will date from around 1944-55.Most likely 1944-45 though.
    The can opener is a p38 iirc.Vietnam era.

Feild dressing pouch is 'Independant Awnings.'

Canteen covers in ww2 were genarally od3 in colour or tan/light khaki.The green covers came in late ww2 but not in ant great numbers.They then continued in use through Korea and into the Vietnam war where in the pics you can see this style in use and also the m1956 covers with the two sliders on the back.

The pistol belt were also the same light khaki colour in ww2 but usually with brass hardware.

thank you NCA, your information was very helpful.

The cover appears to be a late '44 or perhaps early '45 mixed fabric variant. Some collectors call these 'transitional'. When they were switching over to the green material, they just mixed stocks of the old tan with the green until they ran out of tan.

Your belt weave is similar to my 45 dated one and yours is the only other one I've seen! Here's my belt that's similar and an example of the transitional that ObKrieger has mentioned.
    edit- I forgot I have a simlilar cover 45 dated
    Last edited by reneblacky; 02-18-2013 at 02:31 AM. Reason: added picture

Thank you Obkrieger, this will help me to move on further.

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Your belt weave is similar to my 45 dated one and yours is the only other one I've seen! Here's my belt that's similar and an example of the transitional that ObKrieger has mentioned.
    edit- I forgot I have a simlilar cover 45 dated
    Thank you reneblacky. I don't know to much about WWII, I'm just starting to get more involved. My collections go into another direction. It's interesting about the belt webbing. So you reckon it's around 1945. Nice to hear from an Aussie, I used to live in Sunnybank - Queensland before I moved to the States 2/12 years ago, get home sick every now and then. Thanks for your input, it helped.

Regards
    Skip