MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Red Army ID book-missing in action i 1942(?)

Article about: Hi guys I got my first Red Army ID book for equivalent of just few dollars. Nice example dated 1944 for a soldier drafter in July 1944. But the most interesting thing for me was identificati

One thing is that he was missing in July 1942 during German push to Voronezh not 1943. I do think the same about his captivity, was released or escaped. I do know that few months after september 1939 Germans released many Polish privates and NCO's from stalags, maybe the same happend to Tarasenko, maybe released due to age or sickness. I wasn't sure beceause all we know how were Soviet POWs treated but that's the only possibility I think as by July 1944 he had a son born in the same year it means that by late 1943 for sure was at home with wife.
    I've tried to find after battle reports of 124th RD for July 1942 but no luck.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Red Army ID book-missing in action i 1942(?)
    P
    Many

?

Yes, of course July 1942. I misspelled.
    Either way (there were numerous possibilities) he managed to get back to Kharkov after 04 July 1942.

Here is the combat journal of 124 RD around 04 July 1942. You can read it, right?

Another map of the same area.

That's great! Thank you.
    I did one mistake, he was missing not on 4th but on 5th of July 1942.
    Anyway, interesting story for sure. I guess that not many of these "missing without a trace" survived. He was a lucky one.

I've been trying to find some more info about Tarasenko and what I've found that his military speciality was "kavalerist" (cavalryman) what means that he served in horse recon squadron, reconnasaince battalion of 124th rifle div. Quite an interesting service.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Red Army ID book-missing in action i 1942(?)  

?

Not completely so.
    True, he was a private cavalryman, but not in recon squad. He was serving in the 200 separate signals battalion.

Last edited by Egorka; 04-12-2018 at 10:08 AM.

Now I see. Thank you Igor.
    But what would cavalryman do with signal battalion? ��
    I can see that rifle division in 1941 should have about 4000 horses, but can't imagine for what they were used in signal company.
    Anyway, It's interesting that on 4th and 5th of July so many soldiers from 200 signal bn. Was missing which rather should be placed near divisional staff.
    Last edited by Marinecollector42; 04-04-2018 at 08:33 AM.

?

Quote by Marinecollector42 View Post
    Now I see. Thank you Igor.
    But what would cavalryman do with signal battalion? ��
    I can see that rifle division in 1941 should have about 4000 horses, but can't imagine for what they were used in signal company.
    Anyway, It's interesting that on 4th and 5th of July so many soldiers from 200 signal bn. Was missing which rather should be placed near divisional staff.
    Glad to help!
    According to the regulation from March 1942 the separate signals battalion at war time was supposed to have 7 riding horses and 27 work horses.
    All the 7 riding horses were allocated to the "mobile signal means platoon". And inside the platoon all horses were in the "mobile signal means section". This section consisted of 10 positions: 1 sr. sergeant as aid to the platoon commander on a horse; 6 privates cavalrymen; 3 privates motorcyclists.
    So here you go - the veteran was a cavalrymen and was a signaler, whose task was to deliver the messages in the field.

About why so many men from 200 separate signals battalion got missing.
    I don't know if you could read the combat journal entries. The general idea that the situation was a havoc. The division was retreating almost every day. Constantly in under threat of encirclement. The entry from 02 July says that the division lost 2/3 of its personnel.
    The entry for 05 July is even more dramatic as the division commander was killed in the air attack and the neighbor units on left and right retreated without warning.

So, I think, this kind of explains the reason.

Unfortunately the language is still quite a bareer for me, but It's still better than year ago.
    Anyway Thank you Igor for your help, highly apreciate it.
    Now the story is almost complete, and it shows how dramatic was eastern front in 1942 as this division was almost wiped out during defense. Terrible story of one man...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2