Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Soviet field post

Article about: Hello! I could not find a relevant post here on the forum, so I made new one from scratch. Please, share your items in this thread if you wish!!! I have got these two Soviet field post cards

Excellent thread. Great to see that so much info can be taken from a small fieldpost letter. Really like to collect these myself as well (just having some difficulties with translating).
    Here two of my recent arrivals:
    Soviet field postSoviet field post

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet field post
    P
    Many

?

The letters are written by BORIS TAN, who was of Chinese nationality.
    The first letter (with aircrafts and "Happy New Year" inscription) was written 13 Jan 1945, when the veteran served in 266 Guard rifle regiment, 88 Guards rifle division.
    The second letter (with Aleksander Nevsky portrait) was written 31 Oct 1943. It was written from field hospital #18, because he got sick with malaria.
    Awards: Two Bravery medals and OGIII. And OPWI 1985.

Thanks a lot Egorka. Didn't expect him to be Chinese!! I noticed both letters were sent to Slovjansk in the Dombass area, Ukraine so I expected him to be Ukrainian. In fact, didn't even knew Chinese were in the Red Army. Mongolians yes but never thought Chinese would be as well. Interesting!

?

Yes, quite rare occasion.
    Chinese forces during the Russian revolution and later civil war accounted for tens of thousands troops (estimates are ranging from 20K to 40K).
    They often we used to form punitive detachments to engage counter revolutionary forces.
    Later most of them (but not all) were deported during the Stalin's purges.
    Soviet field post

?

Please meet technic-intendant 2 class ROSS ALEKSANDER IVANOVICH, born 1904 in town Nikolaev (Ukraine).
    The veteran wrote this letter on 08 June 1944 to his wife, who resided in Kiev at the time. If you read the letter you will see the intrigue.
    Soviet field post

town Stalino, 08/VI/1944
    Greetings my dear Shurochka (wife's name), my dear mother and my lovely daughter Annushka. I am alive and well.
    I didn't write you because I was on the state clearance, first in the village Mandrikino, then in village Gorlovka. Now I have passed the state clearance and assigned to the ranks of RKKA. Soon I am leaving for the front.

Dear Shurochka! Our 3 year long suffering and turmoil are soon to end. Not more, than in a couple of months, if I survive (I am not in doubt I will) our lives will turn to the better - I will send you my soldiers provisions attest and the life will be as it used to.

I sent a teletype letter to Mrs.Chernogor today. I need your address. Expect my next letter either from the front or from transit.
    Write me where is Misha and Vanya? How are you living and where? Pass my loving fatherly kiss to my precious son Misha.
    Good bye. Kisses to all of you. Greetings to all the friends and neighbors.
    Donbass, town Stalino.
    My address: fieldpost 44482 Ж.
    Aleksander (please, don't write me)

The letter was written right after ROSS successfully passed through the filtration camp, because he was living on the German occupied territory from August 1941 until December 1943. He was in service since February 1936. In June 1941 he was the head of supply train of the 19 Howitzer Artillery Regiment, which was located close to the state border when Germany attacked. His unit quickly found itself to be behind the front line.
    As many others in such situation he was declared MIA:
    Soviet field post

But ROSS survived. It also appears to me, he evaded being captured by Germans (i.e. he was not a POW), but managed to get shelter somewhere and live his live through 1941-1942-1943. I don't know exactly how. Maybe he managed to get to his home town Nikolaev or he just settled somewhere quiet in the countryside (another common survival scenario during that period).

So by June 1944 he was cleared, i.e. no fact of collaboration with Germans were found on him. Despite the fact, that formally all these cleared men (and there were many of them) were not found guilty of any crimes, they had to take a 2 months shift in an Assault units - detached assault battalion&company. 2 months or until wounded. Or killed. So ROSS was on his way to 13 detached assault battalion, where he arrived on 12 July 1944.
    The 13 detached assault battalion existed from 20.06 till 01.10.1944. It was moved a lot between the rifle units, and it seems after 04.07.1944 it was assigned to 416 rifle division (32 rifle corps, 5 shock army, Southern front).

The further fate of the veteran is not 100% clear to me. I don't see any direct and specific KIA report. But his award record is not in the archive and nothing else positive can be found either... So I am fearing the worst...

But this is not the end. It gets even worse...
    It appears , that ROSS' son Misha - Mikhail Aleksandrovich ROSS, born 1925 in town Nikolaev, was KIA on 14 January 1945. He served from Summer 1944 first as a rifleman in 358 rifle regiment, 136 rifle division. Awarded Bravery medal in October 1944.
    By January 1945 he was a MG section leader.
    Soviet field post
    Last edited by Egorka; 05-29-2018 at 11:26 PM.

Following up on Boris Tan's letters I managed to get some more from the same man, all dated '44 to '45. I really like the designs of these fieldpost cards and some have great drawings on them.

And three more from Boris Tan. One in which I guess he mentioned being awarded the Bravery medal and Order of Glory. Another one where he made a drawing of his three awards (twice Bravery and Order of Glory). He even altered the letter art a bit by adding another medal to make it look like a representation of himself.

Soviet field post

?

Quote by Marcel Banziger View Post
    And three more from Boris Tan. One in which I guess he mentioned being awarded the Bravery medal and Order of Glory. Another one where he made a drawing of his three awards (twice Bravery and Order of Glory). He even altered the letter art a bit by adding another medal to make it look like a representation of himself.

Soviet field post

Yes, here he writes about the Order of Glory. Two bravery medals he got before.

?

Quote by Marcel Banziger View Post
    Soviet field post
    This is just brilliant, Marcel!!! Well done!

The front of the fieldpost letter with partly handdrawn his own set of medals. It adds that little bit extra to this letter.

Soviet field post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast