Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

1902 book, "Daring Deeds" about war hero's .

Article about: I just got this book from a friend today. It has some short stories about several hero's from different countries. Apparently it was a Library book at one time.( I believe it's a bit overdue

?

Default 1902 book, "Daring Deeds" about war hero's .

I just got this book from a friend today. It has some short stories about several hero's from different countries. Apparently it was a Library book at one time.( I believe it's a bit overdue?)
    I like the cover , it shows some different medals, including an EK and Medal of Honor .
    Dean.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1902 book, "Daring Deeds" about war hero's .   1902 book, "Daring Deeds" about war hero's .  

1902 book, "Daring Deeds" about war hero's .   1902 book, "Daring Deeds" about war hero's .  

Last edited by Dean; 10-16-2013 at 08:05 AM.

Looks like a fascinating and fun read! I wouldn't mind reading it myself-it would be a good late Winter night lay in bed sort of book! I even see a Kipling story in it! Nice find!

"Youth's Companion" was a great magazine ,btw... it was aimed toward young male youths(oddly enough!) many decades ago. I have a couple issues of it that I purchased for the stories by Neil H. Swanson.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Thanks for the info, William I am very eager to read it as well. I may have to Let you borrow it when I'm finished.

Also, there are TWO Kipling stories, it appears

Nice book, it seems!
    It's good to see a book treating both soldier strory's without involving politics!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Looks very similar to a couple of volumes I have called Deeds That Thrill the Empire, although they are dealing with British heroes. When you read books like this you begin to understand the psychology of the time and begin to realise what was going through the heads of young men when they rushed to the recruiting office in 1914 (or 1917 depending on your location ).

I wonder if "Daring Deeds" was the inspiration for this?...

1902 book, &quot;Daring Deeds&quot; about war hero's .

Found this little interesting tid bit you might get a kick out of. The book was published by the "Perry Mason Company of Boston". Erle Stanley Gardner ,as a child, was very fond of the magazine, so when he began writing books, he borrowed the name and gave it to his famous Attorney he created-Perry Mason!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    I wonder if "Daring Deeds" was the inspiration for this?...

1902 book, &quot;Daring Deeds&quot; about war hero's .
    Nice one Gunny! I was thinking the same thing when I opened this post! Personal favourites of mine include "The Curse of the Claw", "Roger of the Raj" and "Across the Andes by Frog".

Gonna dig the DVD out right now!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Nice one Gunny! I was thinking the same thing when I opened this post! Personal favourites of mine include "The Curse of the Claw", "Roger of the Raj" and "Across the Andes by Frog".

Gonna dig the DVD out right now!
    For me by far The Testing Of Eric Olthwaite, The Curse Of The Claw and Golden Gordon!...