Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

88th Division, T/5 William Steele

Article about: Hi guys, These photos belong to a very good friend of mine. They are of his uncle during his service in Italy with the 88th division. This man is the reason why our unit, the 88th, exists to

Default Re: 88th Division, T/5 William Steele

This photo, taken on July 18th, 1944, is of Bill with another 88. The 88th division crossed the Arno River two days later, after battling stiff resistance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 88th Division, T/5 William Steele  

The back of this photo reads "Our tent, and also my back". It was taken in January of 1945. At this time I believe the 88th was taking up defensive positions in the Mount Fano sector at the time this photo was taken.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 88th Division, T/5 William Steele  

This photo was taken in April of 1945, right at the end of the war. I believe that at this time, the 88th was in the Po River valley, chasing the enemy into the Alps.

This last photo was taken in May of 1945. Now T/5 Steele, a decorated veteran of the Italian campaign, is in his dress tunic. He is also wearing his signal corps insignia, non-regulation cap insignia, good conduct ribbon, European Campaign ribbon with three battle stars, and 2 years' worth of overseas service stripes.

When I am at his nephew's house next, I will take pictures of his uniform.

I hope you guys enjoyed this!

Mo

Quote by VolksJager View Post
    Good pics. The tail sections are from Ju-52's
    Thanks! My friend will be very excited to know that.

camp Crowder was on the tshirt yes i was that bored lol
    Camp Grayling

Quote by michael77 View Post
    camp Crowder was on the tshirt yes i was that bored lol
    Camp Grayling
    Thanks! I was trying to find that camp without any luck. The man with the shirt must have transferred to some place in North Carolina afterwards.

?

Camp crowder was the biggest signal corp camp in the US, built during the first months of the war for the US. It was decommisioned in the 50's and the location is now a 2 year college. It is located outside of Neosho Missouri in the Ozark mountains south of Joplin Missouri about 20 miles in southwest Missouri. There is one of the original 2 story wooden barracks still there that houses a small museum with American male and female uniforms and related memoralbilia. A large number of female Womens Army Corp personnnel trained there also.
    There was also a German prisoner of war camp there for Africa Corp prisoners.
    Some of them came back to Neosho and settled there after the war. They liked the people and the mountains. There are no buildings left from the POW camp now.
    The popular American comic strip "Beatle Baily" was centered around "Camp Swampy" from the experiences of Mort Walkers experiences at Camp Crowder as a trainee during WWII.
    Last edited by SteveR; 01-29-2012 at 05:45 PM.

Awesome pics!

Nice pictures I was waiting to see them, I like the first one with the signal core tshirt and the campaign hat I need one

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast