Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Aircraft Detection equipment photos

Article about: Here is a small group of photos I just picked up , showing search light and sound detection equipment . I believe they are taken in Canada and were part of local coastal defenses , Sydney ha

CBH
    ?

Default Aircraft Detection equipment photos

Here is a small group of photos I just picked up , showing search light and sound detection equipment . I believe they are taken in Canada and were part of local coastal defenses , Sydney harbor area . Hope you guys like them cheers .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aircraft  Detection equipment photos   Aircraft  Detection equipment photos  

Aircraft  Detection equipment photos   Aircraft  Detection equipment photos  

Great photos, i've always liked those oversized "ear trumpets"!..

CBH
    ?

Thanks Gunny , any idea what they are officially called ?

Quote by CBH View Post
    I think they were known as acoustic locators, Here's a photo of a smaller version from WW1!...Aircraft  Detection equipment photos

Quote by CBH View Post
    Acoustic sound locators. Here's a cracking site showing various types of them and acoustic 'mirrors', i'm still laughing!!!

Acoustic Radar.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

CBH
    ?

Thanks for the information guys , one more question . Were these used for ship and surfaced sub detection also ? As I believe these photos are local , Sydney Harbor area . Thanks again

Never mind , started to read the link , so yes they were used to locate ships as well !

I quite like the Shout-o-phone!...

CBH: Those particular devices are for locating inbound aircraft. The naval device for locating propeller and machinery sounds at sea were hydrophones that operated on the same basic principle, but under water. The Germans built an enormous sound-ranging system at Zeebrugge during WWI for pinpointing British warships that were shelling the port. It was a flash-bang system that worked surprisingly well even in heavy fog, but the audio principle for the sound detectors was the same as for an aircraft detector. By WWII those devices were much more sophisticated than the WWI sound systems, but the principles remained unchanged. Dwight