Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Boer war certificate - ww1 military medal winner -

Article about: well, i basically went skip diving. This is what i saved, and i'm quite pleased with myself! unfortunately the frame and glass had been destroyed This is what ive found out.... WILLIAM WHOWE

Default Boer war certificate - ww1 military medal winner -

well, i basically went skip diving.
    This is what i saved, and i'm quite pleased with myself!

Boer war certificate - ww1 military medal winner -

unfortunately the frame and glass had been destroyed

This is what ive found out....

WILLIAM WHOWELL MC
    served Boer war, first world war and Second world war

brother of HAROLD WHOWELL DCM
    Father of GEORGE HAROLD WHOWELL DFC

William Whowell was born in Bolton 1883. His father was the landlord of “The Millstone” in Crown Street . He was the eldest child he was one of five brothers and two sisters. His brothers were Fred, Harold, Charles (who died when he was two months old), and Robert.

BOER WAR
    William Whowell served in the 2nd Volunteer battalion of the N Lancs Regt during the Second Anglo-Boer War, which this certificate relates to.
    Boer war medal roll His service number was 7578
    William married Lily Smith in 1908 and their son George Harold was born in Bolton on 21st October 1911 At that time, William was a commercial traveller.

WW1
    The first reference to William Whowell during ww1 i can find is his promotion to second lieutenant. it is recorded in the
    SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 22 DECEMBER, 1915
    Under ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY - East Lancashire Brigade
    The undermentioned to be Second Lieutenants : — William Whowell. Dated 22nd November, 1915.
    Then his mention for being awarded the MC is split over two pages in the SUPPLEMENT TO THE EDINBURGH GAZETTE, DECEMBER 18,1916
    2nd Lt. William Whowell, R.F.A. For conspicuous gallantry in action.
    When in charge of an ammunition convoy he and a driver were wounded. He first attended to the driver and continued to issue instructions as to the disposal of the ammunition.

His Brother Harold died at Etaples, Pas de Calais. France in 1917. He was awarded the DCM for conspicuous gallantry.. “Several times attending men under very heavy fire, setting a fine example of courage and coolness throughout””

His ww1 medal roll is listed under William Whrowell – an awful error as it is quite clearly Whowell on the document note the MC and the address on the bottom of the page is his leicester address “The Laurels”

Second Son William Brian was born on 29th October 1921. At that time, William and Lily were living at “The Laurels”, Holmfield, Leicester. Interestingly, he was taken to Bolton to be christened at the church where his parents were married

WORLD WAR TWO
    William Whowell MC is listed in SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 3 DECEMBER, 1943 as being awarded a commision on 25th Nov. 1942 as 2nd Lt. for service with the Army Cadet Force (at 60 odd years old!)

Son William Brian Whowell served as a Surgeon Lieutenant in the Navy in WW2

Son George Harold Whowell (128986), R.A.F.V.R., Acting Squadron Leader 166 Sqn. is also mentioned in the SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 27 MARCH, 1945
    AWARDED THE DFC
    "One night in February, 1945, Squadron Leader Whowell captained an aircraft detailed to attack Dresden. Whilst still many miles from the target, the starboard outer engine failed. Squadron Leader Whowell decided to continue his mission and, by a superb display of airmanship, arrived at the target on time to execute a successful attack. Squadron Leader Whowell afterwards flew the aircraft safely back to base and made a successful landing. This officer set a fine example of devotion to duty and his determination was in keeping with that which he has shown throughout his tour of operational duty"

POST WAR
    William Whowell then of 22 st Phillips road Leicester died 13 may 1957 in a private hospital on Regent’s Road. Probate granted to George Harold and William Brian Left £26, 153.00 plus a bit which was quite a sum in 1957!
    Lily, his widow, died in N Loughborough in 1965.
    George Harold died in 2001 and William Brian in 2005, both in Leicester.

Nice find and well worth saving

well done.

What a great thing to find in a skip, though it should not have been there in the first place.

I used to own a single decal SS m42 helmet that had come out of a skip! Ssrooge has it now.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

If I had walked past one day earlier, the frame may have been intact, one day later it may have gone completely.
    Lucky I guess.
    The best part was the look on my wife's face when I just climbed in a skip as we walked past lol

Good save! Thanks for sharing.