Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

British Palestine first travel document - OET

Article about: Hi, Thought of sharing this interesting early document. I came across an item that I believe to be the first passport or travel document issued by the British for Palestine, after liberation

Default British Palestine first travel document - OET

Hi,

Thought of sharing this interesting early document.

I came across an item that I believe to be the first passport or travel document issued by the British for Palestine, after liberation from the Turkish Ottomans.
    Palestine from 1918 to 1920 was under military authority thus it was considered to be the Southern OET (Egyptian Expeditionary Force - the EEF army from Egypt was important in the liberation of Palestine). Civilian regular passports/laissez-passer where already printed officially around 1921. The back states rules and regulations. It was attached to an alien visa application form from the US Embassy in Jerusalem, I added scans of it too.

Cheers,
    Neil
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British  Palestine first travel document - OET   British  Palestine first travel document - OET  

British  Palestine first travel document - OET   British  Palestine first travel document - OET  

Default Re: British Palestine first travel document - OET

Neat document, thanks for posting it.

If I do some snooping around I may be able to find some documents that belonged to my Palestinian family from this time period. It would be neat to see.

Very interesting pieces of history - I wonder what happened to him ?

Would be nice to see more old family documents if you can find them.
    He became a lawyer, after studying in the States in the 1920's, returning to British Palestine later on. I added his WW1 Ottoman and German service papers before liberation by the British.

Would be great if someone here can read old Turkish Arabic...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British  Palestine first travel document - OET   British  Palestine first travel document - OET  

British  Palestine first travel document - OET   British  Palestine first travel document - OET  

British  Palestine first travel document - OET  

Have finally got a translation, of some sort, regarding this travel document, Ottoman. The photo applied doc is the laissez-passer.

Date from 1918 and not 1917 as I though first...

"The earlier document (31/1/1918) is an Ottoman government identity record issued to

Abra[ha]m Mordechai Haim (since the second document belongs to the same person,

here the name is wrongly recorded) by the Commander of the Nazreth Area and the

Deputy Chief of Comustibles in Palestine. The paper confirms the deferment granted

from military service to the said person, who had been assigned to the job of cutting

and transporting firewood for the Hijaz-Syria Railroad under the Military Transport

[authorities]. The handwriting on the upper left side states that it was reviewed (or

written) by the clerk of a certain Tahir Bey, an official who was in charge of 4 named

villages (3 of which, BTW, appear in a famous Hebrew song from the Mandate

pereiod).

The later document, with photo, is a travel certificate (Laissez Passer) issued in Haifa to Abra[ha]m

Mordechai, son of Haim Meikin (or Beikin) on 5/8/1918. The young man was 18 at the

time, born in Jerusalem, lived in Haifa, was a student, traveled to Syria on his own, by

train, for the purpose of tourism or medical treatment (could be read as either for

"circulation" (going around) or "teatment"). Details of his physical appearance are also

listed."