Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British pilote escapingroute on silk...

Article about: Hello guys, I have this question please. My girlfriends grandmother knows an English man who says he has got an escapingroutecard (kind of sketchmap) on silk from the European meanland and i

?

Default British pilote escapingroute on silk...

Hello guys, I have this question please. My girlfriends grandmother knows an English man who says he has got an escapingroutecard (kind of sketchmap) on silk from the European meanland and is dated 1941. This was used by British pilotes that were shot down above Europe to find their way back to England.
    I'm gonna receive some pictures of it tomorrow normally.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about and is there someone that can show me some pictures of such an example?

I also wanna know what prices they are sold for because that man is willing to sell it to me. I really know nothing about these cards and also don't know which prices are handeled on such things.

Thank you guys in advance,

Kris.

?

Hi Kris
    AFAIK most maps were actually rayon acetate.
    As for pics; here you go:
    https://www.google.dk/search?hl=da&q...+silk+map+wwii

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/airbo...90/?highlight=

Sounds like a silk escape map! See my thread for several examples. If you post some pictures when you can and I should be able to let you know what a fair price is

Quote by Scout View Post
    Hi Kris
    Maps were actually rayon acetate.
    As for pics; here you go:
    https://www.google.dk/search?hl=da&q...+silk+map+wwii
    Actually they were printed on silk (quite often rejected from the parachute manufactures), later in the war this changed to Rayon. They were also printed on mulberry leaf paper which has the appearance of very fine tissue paper

?

Thanks.
    Other materials were also used such as:
    Survival maps were made of paper, cloth, rayon, cheesecloth, silk and an assortment of other materials. Maps made from silk and rayon was favoured as they did not decompose when wet, dried quickly and did not make a noise when the downed pilot opened them or folded them.
    Source:
    Anaspides.net

?

So, here are some pics of the map guys. Thx.

British pilote escapingroute on silk...British pilote escapingroute on silk...British pilote escapingroute on silk...British pilote escapingroute on silk...British pilote escapingroute on silk...British pilote escapingroute on silk...British pilote escapingroute on silk...British pilote escapingroute on silk...British pilote escapingroute on silk...

It is a Bartholomew silk map of Italy in very good condition. The maps of Italy are slightly less common than those of Nothern Europe. They tend to go for around £35 - £45 on eBay.