Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

COLDITZ signature identification

Article about: Could anyone help me with this? The bottom signature i believe may be POW poet david walker? any ideas on the top one? im assuming another POW due to the nature of the card. any suggestions

Default COLDITZ signature identification

Could anyone help me with this?
    The bottom signature i believe may be POW poet david walker?
    any ideas on the top one? im assuming another POW due to the nature of the card.

any suggestions helpful!
    COLDITZ signature identificationCOLDITZ signature identificationCOLDITZ signature identification

It's the signature of Flt. Lt. Bill Goldfinch. He was born Leslie James Edward Goldfinch, but was always known as 'Bill'. Note the initials 'L.J.E.' at the start of the signature. He was famous for designing and building the "Colditz Cock" escape glider with other prisoners, but the liberation of Colditz by the Americans in April 1945 meant it was never flown. Here's a nice Wiki link:

Colditz Cock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The fact that this official RAF Escaping Society postcard is signed by two of the more recognised inmates of Colditz makes it an especially nice one. I believe they were of a limited edition (100?) signed by various surviving prisoners, at the time of issue in 1985.

Regards, Ned
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Many thanks Ned, and thanks for the link!
    i picked up a whole load of autographed items at a local auction, I think that this colditz aniversary one is my favorite though as its a lovely looking card.

but this one is a close second place:

COLDITZ signature identification