Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

It could happen again

Article about: A forgotten past in US history. In 1932 WWI vets marched on Washington for a promised bonus . They didn't get it . Gary

?

Default Re: It could happen again

I new a WWII vet who always referred to MacArthur as The Coward of Corregidor for running of in the night and leaving his men .

- - Updated - -

I new a WWII vet who always referred to MacArthur as The Coward of Corregidor for running of in the night and leaving his men .

?

Good pics and reminder. Unfortunately it have already happened. Just ask vets from the Falklands, Iraq and A-stan etc. Or the Russian lads fighting in Chechnya for that matter. Politicians are the first to betray who ever fought abroad from wherever they came from. Sad but true! History repeating itself and so on...

All the best

Lars

Quote by RH1941 View Post

- - Updated - -

Interesting thread.

IMO MacArthur was a outrageous ego maniac fullstop.
    MacArthur was about MacArthur and MacArthur alone.
    Just my opinion.
    All the best
    Dave

MacArthur was an incompetent general. His leadership in the Korean War is proof of that.

Curious how War Bond sales in the US were a flop during WW1 . . . and did much better during WW2.

Think about what would happen if War Bonds had been equally popular with the US population after WW2, as they were during [or for that matter, even sold during recent conflicts] - paying some of that debt up front might not be such a bad idea, especially when it comes to delivering on promises made to veterans . . . put your money where your mouth is, I say!

Quote by Sir Payne View Post
    MacArthur was an incompetent general. His leadership in the Korean War is proof of that.
    Agreed.
    I feel he wanted to go down in history as the first to nuke his adversary on the field of battle. So his big call re nuking the Chinese.
    At least his insanity cost him his command in the end.
    Cheers
    Dave

I guess US War Bonds were a success early in the USA's involvement in WW2 due to the fact the US was attacked with-out notice and the war came to them (1945 was a poor year for US War Bonds I believe). The general population was somewhat more divided during WW1 as to their commitment so a less successful drive was understandable.

I would think that due to the Great Depression payment during those dark financial days was an impossibility. If the vet's had won a precedent would have been set and all that were owed monies by the US Government for what ever reason would have claimed on the same grounds (financial hardship).
    Difficult decisions for difficult times be it right or wrong.
    All the best
    Dave

Nice pictures
    Quote by RH1941 View Post

- - Updated - -

My great uncle that was in the USMC during WWII Hated MacArthur for what he did to the Army, both in the 30s and in the Philippines. Now that is saying something for the rivalry that he had with the army in the Pacific

What is failed to mention is that the money would be (Insured) paid in 1945 and yes they needed it but that was not the bonus agreement.
    Sad times I know but not much money to be had then and again now.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

?

There was also one more Officer in that crowd who forced out the Vets. He became quite the famous Tanker!!!!!!!
    We as the people of this Great Nation need to make sure that the Brave men and women that served our in our Military will not suffer the same results! Like what has said before " We must learn from the past or we are destined to live it again".

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast