Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

A.F.S. Photo

Article about: Hi all Picked up this very faded Auxiliary Fire service photo of a group posing in front of their tender unit!! note one member wearing welly's!!! in the background is a sign for the "K

Default A.F.S. Photo

Hi all
    Picked up this very faded Auxiliary Fire service photo of a group posing in front of their tender unit!! note one member wearing welly's!!! in the background is a sign for the "Kings Arms" hotel, and just above that a Brewery sign for "Fremlins" (elephant logo) a Kentish brewery from Maidstone, Kent , I would guess this was taken somewhere in the south of England circa 1940!!!!
    the photo has been enhanced using my smartphone (see before and after)
    any ideas on the vehicle used!!??
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A.F.S. Photo   A.F.S. Photo  

Whatever vehicle make it is, it was once a car but appears to have been heavily 'modified' by the removal of the roof and doors by the look of it.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

A great pic and as Ned posted the vehicle appears to be a conversion. I saw one of those belts for sale recently but I did not know what it was until seeing this picture.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Yes I've seen those chunky belts before too..... and wondered what service they were from ...till now that is!!
    I noticed only a couple of the more senior fellows have fire axes in leather holsters hanging from the chunky belts!!!
    and that the "kings Arms" hotel also offer "luncheons and teas"!!!!