Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

George Rodger, Photographer

Article about: A couple of photographs in one of Rodger's books stood out as possibly being of interest to forum members so thought I'd post them here. Rodger's coverage of WW2 was extensive - including th

Default George Rodger, Photographer

A couple of photographs in one of Rodger's books stood out as possibly being of interest to forum members so thought I'd post them here. Rodger's coverage of WW2 was extensive - including the Blitz, West Africa, Europe and notably Bergen-Belsen. He was also a founder of the iconic Magnum Photos agency. He's worth looking up for anyone with an interest in history and/or photography.

These two pictures are, firstly, of the French Foreign Legion in Eritrea 1941. What fascinates me about it is there appears to be an incoming round top right of the frame. Unless it was at the very end of its trajectory I'd have thought you'd need a super-fast shutter speed to freeze a round like this. Any ideas?

Second is a picture he took in Denmark 1945 of British troops collecting small arms among other things. I wonder if any of that pile is in anyone's collection on here?

George Rodger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

George Rodger at Magnum
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture George Rodger, Photographer   George Rodger, Photographer  

Default Re: George Rodger, Photographer

I would think that it is a spent caseing being ejected from the machine gun. John.

Default Re: George Rodger, Photographer

That makes an awful lot of sense John, but, to this amateur, the casing appears extremely pointed - hence my question. Having said that, I would be amazed if the explanation was any other than yours...