Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

The Great Escape - Stalag Luft 3 contemporary newspaper report

Article about: Whilst searching through my collection of newspapers, magazines and cuts outs I came across this copy of the News Chronicle dated Saturday 24th June 1944. I've had it for years and either pi

Default The Great Escape - Stalag Luft 3 contemporary newspaper report

Whilst searching through my collection of newspapers, magazines and cuts outs I came across this copy of the News Chronicle dated Saturday 24th June 1944. I've had it for years and either picked it up cheap or was given it. I had not paid too much attention to it as the main headline is pretty generic for the time, however, having taken the time to read it properly the second story (and most of the newspaper) is about the capture and execution of the P.o.W's from Stalag Luft III - The Great Escape!
    I've tried photographing it so that you can read the article but it maybe a bit disjointed (click on the images to make them bigger).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Great Escape - Stalag Luft 3 contemporary newspaper report   The Great Escape - Stalag Luft 3 contemporary newspaper report  

The Great Escape - Stalag Luft 3 contemporary newspaper report   The Great Escape - Stalag Luft 3 contemporary newspaper report  

The Great Escape - Stalag Luft 3 contemporary newspaper report   The Great Escape - Stalag Luft 3 contemporary newspaper report  

The Great Escape - Stalag Luft 3 contemporary newspaper report  

Default Re: The Great Escape - Stalag Luft 3 contemporary newspaper report

I found these two interesting stories in the newspaper - the one titled 'buried eight hours' reminds me of the scene from Good Morning Vietnam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Great Escape - Stalag Luft 3 contemporary newspaper report  
    Attached Images Attached Images The Great Escape - Stalag Luft 3 contemporary newspaper report 

Default Re: The Great Escape - Stalag Luft 3 contemporary newspaper report

Very interesting reading, the revenge murders were a disgraceful thing to have done. Thanks for taking the time to photograph the paper mate, cheers,

Dave.

Channel 4 have done digging the great escape, returning to the site with some vets with original parts found including wheels from the trolley really moving and well worth a watch available on 4OD

Weren't they Canadians that escaped or was that another pow camp?

Cheers Inka not sure if you can view it overseas maybe on internet stream amazing what those boys did and tragic how it ended for 50 of them, there is a section where one of the German officers admits his guilt.

- - ------- - -

they were all airforce crew i believe, mixed nations.

The Luftwaffe were the guards there and they did respect other airforce guys and they did not want people to get mixed up in thinking they were ss, they respected them somewhat even though the lack of food. A canadian spitfire pilot was the head engineer for making the tunnels and those tunnels were called tom,dick and Harry and that's where the saying every tom dick and Harry came from, name of the huts.

True and they still exist today albeit mostly filled in like I say well worth viewing