Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Great-Uncle's scrapbooks (15 in total)

Article about: Thanks and they're definitely interesting, though with school I probably won't be able to read as much as otherwise. I noticed that on at least one of the volumes is dated (from and to), as

Default Great-Uncle's scrapbooks (15 in total)

Hi, I'm new to this site, but thought I'd post about a lot of around 15 scrapbooks which my great-uncle put together when he was a boy, during the second World War. Each is around A3 size and is *full* of newspaper clippings and pictures(both black and white and in color I think). I'll try get some pictures later today

Default Re: Great-Uncle's scrapbooks (15 in total)

Hi Jenny,

I bet they are quite interesting for you to read. It will give you a valuable insight to what life was like for your great-uncle. I cannot imagine the youth of today keeping a scrapbook!

Hi,
    They really are very interesting, though with aproximately 442 pages of clippings in total it will take a while to get through it all. There are pieces from magazines along with from newspapers and cards, which span an incredible amount of subjects such as changes in British RAF tactics, rescue stories, weapon illustrations, death announcements, battle descriptions and so much in between. I can't wait to have a better look through them!

And it's true, I can't imagine keeping one, though it's without a doubt a great way to log daily happenings

Here are a few photos from the 1st and 6th volumes, I apologize for the bad quality:

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Hi Jenny,

I bet they are quite interesting for you to read. It will give you a valuable insight to what life was like for your great-uncle. I cannot imagine the youth of today keeping a scrapbook!
    Oh, but we do...its called facebook! Did you not know that everything any youngster does has to get published on facebook these days? Pah, give me a scrap book and a newspaper any day!

- - Updated - -

Great scrapbooks by the way!

Thanks

Also, if there are any bits of information that anyone's interested in, I'd be more than happy to keep an eye out for them and then upload it onto here!

Quote by edelweiss123 View Post
    Oh, but we do...its called facebook! Did you not know that everything any youngster does has to get published on facebook these days? Pah, give me a scrap book and a newspaper any day!

- - Updated - -

Great scrapbooks by the way!
    I don't count the dreaded facebook as being the same kind of thing! Facebook is a social networking site for people to share their innermost thoughts and desires with the rest of the world. Yet some of these same people dare to complain about press intrusion.

Scrapbooks are a collection of newspaper and magazine cuttings of every day life, or anything of interest to the person compiling the scrap book.

I don't count the dreaded facebook as being the same kind of thing! Facebook is a social networking site for people to share their innermost thoughts and desires with the rest of the world. Yet some of these same people dare to complain about press intrusion.

Scrapbooks are a collection of newspaper and magazine cuttings of every day life, or anything of interest to the person compiling the scrap book.
    I fully agree. Its obvious which form information would last the longest and can be passed down from parent to child etc... I feel scrapbooks give us as collectors an oppurtunity to see a real glimpse of how people saw certain events and how they perceived them.

(PS, I was only joking about facebook, i hate the thing)

Another pet hate is e-books. You cannot beat a well stocked book case. I saw a very good comment about e-books just recently... 'You can't kill a spider with an e-book.' Yet another good reason for investing in hard-backs! The batteries never need changing either.

Another pet hate is e-books. You cannot beat a well stocked book case. I saw a very good comment about e-books just recently... 'You can't kill a spider with an e-book.' Yet another good reason for investing in hard-backs! The batteries never need changing either.
    Now, i must admit i have a kindle. HOWEVER,,,,this is purely for work as i can take several leaflets and books to show patients in a format they can see easily and change the font size etc....
    It also works out cheaper to buy some of my uni books on. When it comes to buying books on military history, all mine are hardbacks

A plus side with the kindle though is that i have downloaded numerous manuals (legally) for free which would be hard to come by. Worth nothing on the collectors front but gives me the opportunity to read something i wouldn't be able to without it (nor would i be reading a 100 year old book)

Great scrapbooks to have and good that you are interested in them Jenny. They look to be full of lots of good period publications and other information, a real resource of the period IMHO and something that would be hard to duplicate and a good research project perhaps.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast