Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Greek partisan discharge paper

Article about: I would like to share a piece of history, which belongs to my family since 1945. It's my grandfather's discharge paper from ELAS (Peoples' National Liberational Army), the partisan army of E

Default Greek partisan discharge paper

I would like to share a piece of history, which belongs to my family since 1945. It's my grandfather's discharge paper from ELAS (Peoples' National Liberational Army), the partisan army of EAM (National Liberational Front), during the years of occupation of Greece in WW2.

The discharge paper was thought to have been lost, but was found some time ago. My grandfather passed away 23 years ago, when I was too young to have the chance to talk with him about his war experience. I didn't have much info on it from my family either, since he didn't discuss about these years.

Looking at the info of the document, I realized that it is a rare piece of history. My grandfather joined the Reserves of ELAS in July 1943, aged 21, and the "Active" ELAS as a machine gunner in May 1944. Judging from his later unit, he must have initially joined the 5th Brigade, which got reorganized to the 2nd Division in September 1944, active in the areas of Attica and Viotia (most important battle the one in Karutes, against the SS-Polizei Gebirgsjäger Regiment 18) and took part in the Battle of Athens in December of the same year. He belonged to the 1st Battalion of the 34th Regiment of the Division, which fought in the areas of the Goudi camp, "Sotiria" hospital, the Gendarmerie academy of "Makriyanni" and hotel "Cecil", where the RAF HQ was located.

The discharge paper is signed by the CO of the 1/34, "Kapetanios" Georgios Boutsinis, nicknamed "Nikitas", on February 22, 1945, after the Treaty of Varkiza, which predicted -among other things- the disbanding of ELAS. Not many discharge papers are left, due to the post-war political situation in Greece.

My granfather's paper was kept hidden by his sister from 1948 to 1982, when the state recognised the left wing Resistance groups, offering a pension. He took it and kept it, not accepting the pension, saying that he did at the time what he felt to be his duty. After his death, he was awarded the National Resistance medal.

His personal info, written in ink has almost faded out, since the paper was kept hidden under olive oil cans for decades, as I was told. The back is stating that he had not been issued with supplies during the time of his discharge.

Hope that you 'll find it interesting!

Regards, Giorgos
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Greek partisan discharge paper   Greek partisan discharge paper  

Default Re: Greek partisan discharge paper

Incredible history Giorgos! Took alot of bravery and guts to fight with the partisans in Greece. If caught, especially by the SS, your head was not the only one on the block. They would hunt your entire family. Greece didn't get much of a break after the war. Thanks for showing. Great stuff!

Jay

Where did you find all this greek items???

Very interesting to see. I really enjoy seeing forum members family items.

Cheers, Ade.

I am glad that you find it interesting!

Jay, it did take a lot of courage, indeed. War in the Balkans was really dirty and merciless from all sides. It's a really interesting, yet not very discussed subject!

Herrzark, greek ww2 items are relatively rare, but they are out there. They are usually overlooked and underestimated by the majority though, due to the 3rd Reich collecting frenzy!

Ade, I really enjoy it too, since they have a story to go with them! And then there's this personal bond with such items... This is my most prized posession in my collection!

Regards, Giorgos

I agree.The best is that this items have a story to go with them