Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Gruesome British 49th Division Christmas card, 1944

Article about: Hello all, with Christmas approaching I thought I'd share this rather cheery Christmas card produced by the 49th (West Riding) Division, in 1944. It refers to Lord Haw-Haw's description of t

Default Gruesome British 49th Division Christmas card, 1944

Hello all,

with Christmas approaching I thought I'd share this rather cheery Christmas card produced by the 49th (West Riding) Division, in 1944. It refers to Lord Haw-Haw's description of the division as "The Polar Bear Butchers" (the division's arm badge was a Polar Bear), following vicious fighting in Normandy. It's just one of many items that my grandpa brought back from his time with the division.

Cheers, Tom

Gruesome British 49th Division Christmas card, 1944Gruesome British 49th Division Christmas card, 1944Gruesome British 49th Division Christmas card, 1944Gruesome British 49th Division Christmas card, 1944Gruesome British 49th Division Christmas card, 1944

That's brilliant i love it!....

I love it too!

Thanks for taking the time to post !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Charming Christmas Sentiment! lol
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Does anyone still make these? I think I know what I'm sending around to the family this year...

?

Merry Christmas to you, you SS Bastard. What ever happened to subtle English humour?

Absolutely brilliant card, I wish I could find one of these. Best way to answer Haw Haws garbage was to kick nazi butt and then to put it in a cartoon xmas card, so cool.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

There cannot be many of these surviving thanks for sharing!
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Wonderful item! I particularly like 49th Division items as my Grandfather was in 1st Batallion, The Leicestershire Regiment and went right through from Normandy into Germany.

Regards

Martin

?

A sentiment of the time - as far as those guys were concerned, both Haw-Haw and Tokyo Rose could go take a flying......., well, you know what.

Loads of detail in the drawing. A polar bear toppling a panther, that must be one heck of a big bear!