Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gunner Joseph Woodward

Article about: Hey guys, Just thought I'd post some wartime pictures of my great uncle Joe. He's 86 now, and he was a tank gunner in the Ayrshire Yeomanry and attatched to the Royal Artillery. He landed in

Default Gunner Joseph Woodward

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd post some wartime pictures of my great uncle Joe. He's 86 now, and he was a tank gunner in the Ayrshire Yeomanry and attatched to the Royal Artillery. He landed in Normandy on D-Day +1, and fought through France, Belgium, Holland and Germany.

Joe spent most of his time in a British Sherman tank, although the tank in the 2nd picture looks like a 'Comet I'

He's digging some of his wartime pictures out for me, so I'll upload more when I get them.

Cheers,
    Lee
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gunner Joseph Woodward   Gunner Joseph Woodward  

Gunner Joseph Woodward  

?

Default Re: Gunner Joseph Woodward

Lee as a fellow Gunner i salute your Great Uncle Joe , send him my regards and tell him " Ubique " from me.

Look forward to seeing the rest of the photos

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi Paul,

Thanks very much for your kind words. Joe is a great guy, and he's always willing to share his stories. I'm incredibly proud of him!

I'll certainly pass on your regards and 'Ubique'

All the very best,
    Lee

Hi Lee, thanks ofr posting about your great Uncle Joe. Tell him he hasn't changed much

I would love to hear some of his stories.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Joe must have been with 151st Field Regiment RA which fought in Normandy and Western Europe as part of 11 Armoured Division, not sure what they would have been using the , the guns may have been Sexton Self propelled or normal Field 25 Pounders.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Joe must have been with 151st Field Regiment RA which fought in Normandy and Western Europe as part of 11 Armoured Division, not sure what they would have been using the , the guns may have been Sexton Self propelled or normal Field 25 Pounders.
    Absolutely spot on mate! He served in the 151st Field Regiment (we were only discussing this last night as we were filling out his Hero's Return form) And Joe always talks about the 25 pounder guns, so presumably they were the choice weapon.

He's asked me to go along with him to Normandy next year and act as his 'carer'. I've never been before, although I was planning on going next year anyway, but what better guide than a veteran eh!

?

Lee i've been taking tours to Normandy for quite a few years which all include veterans, we were there for the 65th Anniversary this year , you will have a superb time with Joe, there is no better experience than standing on a Battlefield with the men who fought there.

But be warned Joe will think he is 20 years old again

I will pm you some good Gunner locations to visit and if you want anymore info just let me know,

regards

Paul

1st July 1916

Evening chaps,

Me and Joe have booked our trip to Normandy this evening! We go on April 5th 2010. It's my first visit, and I'm absolutely ecstatic to be going with Joe.... a D-Day veteran, who seen action in Normandy, including the Falaise Pocket!

I've got a feeling this is gonna be a really emotional trip!

Hi Lee, that is great! Make sure you take plenty of photos. And have plenty of camera batteries.

Your Uncle Joe really reminds me of Alan Whicker. You might be too young to remember him? TV Journalist and WW2 Vet.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Lee, that is great! Make sure you take plenty of photos. And have plenty of camera batteries.

Your Uncle Joe really reminds me of Alan Whicker. You might be too young to remember him? TV Journalist and WW2 Vet.

Cheers, Ade.
    Haha, I can see the resemblance Ade! Someone else said his wartime pic resembles Clark Gable! Joe could get a full time job as a looky-likey at this rate!! Hahaha!

Yea, I'm really looking forward to the trip mate. I'll certainly be taking lots of pics, and I'm even mulling over the idea of filming it!

Lee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast