Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hand drawn pictures

Article about: These are three hand drawn sketches by a man named Don Mathieson. My grandfather served with him overseas. I found a pieces of art with all the other things I found. They are 34 inches by 22

Very cool, good artist and style!....

?

These are a superb piece of history and done by a man with talent , very unique and interesting to see that one of them has the Town Majors jeep on it , a unit that many folk have never heard of !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

What unit was your Grandfather with ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

?

Thank you all so much for the great comments and advice. I am going to get them framed. I got a price and it is not cheap, but it will be done. I know my grandfather and Don (the guy who drew these) worked on a small paper called THE BULLET. I don't know if it was a small paper meant to entertain the troops or what but I found one small piece of the paper and it said Don was the artist and my grandpa was the editor. the paper isn't cheap though it is very high quality and strong. That is why they have lasted this long. I'll post more pics when the are framed.

?

My grandpa served with the 5th field Regt. R.C.A. He was on the first boat leaving Halifax N.S. to go early and set up. After about to years he was injured and instead of coming home he was placed with the Knights of Columbus as a master projectionist in charge of troop entertainment wherever he was. In Italy I know he was right behind the Canadian 8th army Division With a reinforcement troops. He was very well like by all.

?

Well, if you want to keep theses draws safe, better do a copy to be framed.
    And keep safe originals without lights on them, beetween 2 "stained paper".
    Paper is very photosensible and if it turns white to yellow , it' s not very good. Especially with old papers.
    The ink looks like china ink who 's very light resistant. But for unique pieces caution is very important.

?

I finally found the piece of paper that connected my grandfather and the man who drew those pictures. It was a paper called The Bullet. I'm not sure if was a small paper circulated around the Canadian camp or what but it has a good piece on my grandpa as well as other articles. My grandpa's is the long one in the middle of the second pic. Hope you enjoy.Hand drawn picturesHand drawn pictures

?

I finally got one of my drawings framed. I think it turned out great. The other 2 are being worked on now. Hand drawn pictures
    Hand drawn pictures

Superb job! It looks amazing!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Excellent , well done !

1st July 1916

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2