Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Herbert Schiff Memorial Trophy Pamphlet

Article about: Anyone know anything about this pamplet (really about a 8 x 11 in. soft cover book)? A friends relative passed away and gave me a bunch of his old navy stuff from back in the 1920s. I have a

KDG
    ?

Default Herbert Schiff Memorial Trophy Pamphlet

Anyone know anything about this pamplet (really about a 8 x 11 in. soft cover book)? A friends relative passed away and gave me a bunch of his old navy stuff from back in the 1920s. I have a couple of his Navy Uniforms (white with hat), his duffle bag, his diary, and this green pamphlet that says "The Herbert Schiff Memorial Trophy 1925, 1926, 1927". Inside on the very first page is a small piece of paper that has been glued (I think) to the first blank page that says: It is the intention of the committee to print annually a pamphlet on the Herbert Schiff Trophy winner. However, this booklet is the only complete story for a three year period. All new pamplets will deal with the current year only. It is therefore suggested that those persons desiring a complete record of the Trophy retain all pamphlets received. On the second page there is an actual photograph (not a printing of a photograph) of Lt. Herbert Schiff USN Died 11 July 1924. Next in the pamphlet is the "Story of the Trophy". The subsequent pages feature printed photographs of the Trophy winners, dignataries and committee members as well as President Coolidge presenting the Trophy to the 1925 and 1927 winners. I tried to look up information on the trophy but there doesn't seem to be much out there. Is this a rare pamphlet? Is the Trophy still given out? If not -when did they stop? I know I have a lot of questions but any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading and your time.
    Last edited by KDG; 09-14-2011 at 03:55 AM.

KDG
    ?

Default Re: Herbert Schiff Memorial Trophy Pamphlet

I forgot to mention that this individual who died was on the USS Saratoga and his diary is full of newspaper clippings pasted on the pages - really interesting stuff.
    Last edited by KDG; 09-14-2011 at 03:55 AM.

KDG
    ?

No one on here knows anything about this? Anything? I haven't been able to find anything on this booklet. I emailed the National Aviation Museum last Friday and haven't heard a peep out of them either. Is this a taboo subject or something?

Wikipedia ? Maybe it's an outdated award/trophy...........
    Regards,

Steve.

KDG
    ?

Thank you for the reply Steve. I've read the different wikipedia information about the trophies namesake and how he died (hit by a H-16 flying boat propeller) and that his brother started the awards for excellence on aviation safety. I've found numerous different articles on some the different winners from years that seem to stop around 1935. I can not seem to find any references to the Pamphlet/Booklet or the current state of the Trophy itself (in a museum maybe?). That is the information I'm looking to find.