Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A Hungarian in the French- Indochina War

Article about: Hi all. This stunning photograph was a random junk shop find when I was in Budapest last week. I have a habit of grabbing military photos that take my fancy if they are the right price and I

Default A Hungarian in the French- Indochina War

Hi all. This stunning photograph was a random junk shop find when I was in Budapest last week. I have a habit of grabbing military photos that take my fancy if they are the right price and I didn't look too closely at this until I got it back to the hotel and realised that it was taken in Vietnam! This was the last thing I was expecting and as the writing on the back is in Hungarian I am guessing this chap was in the Foreign Legion? Would anyone be able to ID the unit insignia on his shoulder board? I assume this was moved up there for the benefit of the photo so he was clearly proud of his unit.

Any comments would be appreciated. Many thanks.

- - ------- - -

Sorry second photo is on its side.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A Hungarian in the French- Indochina War   A Hungarian in the French- Indochina War  

A Hungarian in the French- Indochina War  

That's an interesting find. It's well known of course that the French Foreign Legion ranks were swelled post WW2 with former Wehrmacht and SS troopers who had their own reasons for leaving Europe for a spell. A Hungarian with his country under Soviet control could quite likely see the legion as a good option. Of course these were seasoned troops who in the Indo China war were some of the best the French had.

Looks to me like this chap may have been too young to be a WW2 vet, but as you say, i'm sure there were many reasons for wanting to get out of Soviet controlled Hungary.

The closest badge that I could find is that of the 3rd REI. I'm pretty sure that is his unit.
    Attached Images Attached Images A Hungarian in the French- Indochina War 

I ask on a French Forum.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Quote by lebus12 View Post
    I ask on a French Forum.
    Tres bien. Merci

So, they say his old unity was the 3 REI, because the badge is on the shoulder.
    The actual unity is on the right pocket....
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Very interesting, thank you. I can see that there is something on the right pocket, its a shame it cant be seen.