Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Husband & wife group: Army and SOE

Article about: Now we have a selection of letter which he sent home. I felt I was intruding on their privacy when I first got these and read them. They are love letters. So I will just show a few here with

Default Re: Husband & wife group: Army and SOE

Quote by ALLERBERGER View Post
    Ade , thanks for sharing this fantastic journey of a family in war time Britain ! Tragic but uplifting at the same time , a truly amazing story that has been a pleasure to read. Well done for saving a family history Can i ask a quick question about the FANY , did the girls who delivered the spitfires and hurries etc. around the country belong to this group or was that something else ?

cheers Al
    Hi Guys, thanks to you all for your comments. I enjoyed doing this thread as it is something I had wanted to do for some time now. I almost feel like I knew Mrs Munn. It is one of mine and Lez's favourite items from our collections.

Hi Al, no, the FANY were not involved with aircraft deliveries. This was done by the girls (and men) of the ATA (Air Transport Auxiliary)

The Royal Air Force - History Section

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Guys, this is an interesting husband and wife group which belongs to Lez and myself. It is rather sad as the whole lot ended up in a junk shop before it was rescued some years ago now. It is a very large group which includes a lot of paperwork and photos, even down to birth and marriage certificates. The thread will take me some time to build as there is a fair bit of stuff.

The couple were both Scottish.

I will start with the items which belonged to the husband, Capt. Norman Munn.

He started his military career with the Royal Artillery. He then became a very early member of No 4 Commando. He then transfered again, this time to the Cameronians, a Scottish Regt.

Here is his original military officers ID card. Also shown is a photo of him in the uniform of a 2nd Lt in the RA.
    Adrian,

I was talking just a couple days ago with a close friend about how we work all our lives, collect and save and in the end it all ends up at some auction or in the junk yard. At least the memory of this soldier and his bride will not be lost. Very nice pictures and I thank you for taking the time to save this little bit of history.

Terry

ade this is a wonderfull grouping/story and he was a scot aswell

thanks for takeing the time to show us and keep those two brave persons lifes within the military alive!!

and found in a junk shop makes me sad!

Thanks for the comments Guys

Cheers, Ade.

3mk
    ?

Great grouping Ade,
    What saddens me is that someone would throw away something like this belonging to there family

Absolutely first class thread Ade, thank you.
    Steve
    Nonquam Non paratus

Very well done

Jeep
    ?

Cheers for the wonderful thread Adrian, most facinating and great that the items and these veterans story of service is now preserved. I dont know how relatives and decendants could throw away the physical items that link with the past and allow them to Know thier ancestors better even if they did not meet then in life.

Ade,

I just happened upon this thread for the first time and congratulations goes out to you for preserving this "time capsule."

Regards,

Joel

well rescued sir!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast