Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

I wouldnt cross her!

Article about: Found this interesting old photo recently, anyone seen anything like it before?

Default I wouldnt cross her!

Found this interesting old photo recently, anyone seen anything like it before?
    I wouldnt cross her!

Interesting photo!

The Shamrock on the dress and the Union flag makes me wonder if the photo was taken in Ireland? I wonder if she was dressed up for Empire Day or the like?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

hi ade, i did have similar thoughts about the irish connection, but why the shotgun, revolver and bandolier?

?

Quote by bananamafia View Post
    hi ade, i did have similar thoughts about the irish connection, but why the shotgun, revolver and bandolier?
    Perhaps this photo is connected to the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) raised by Unionists in 1912 as part of the home rule crisis. There is an article about women in the UVF here - The women of the UVF | Bygonedays.net.

The way she is holding the weapons suggests to me that they are props to show her support for armed struggle against home rule, rather than her being prepared or trained to actively use them. The shotgun looks like it is cocked - I hope it wasn't loaded!

Very interesting and unusual photo

Regards, Philip

An awful photo of her if it is, but at first, I wondered if it was Constance Markievicz?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Im not sure if it is Countess Constance Markievicz, but thats an interesting story..Countess Constance Markievicz - Irish Cultural Society of the Garden City Area
    I wouldnt cross her!
    I wouldnt cross her!

Not a lady I had heard of (I am shamefully ignorant of most things Irish) but I cannot image her wearing a Union Flag.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

That period is very unknown outside of Ireland, but it is very interesting for a number of points, The use of Women at War in a time of the Suffragette movement and the gunrunning trade with Germany.."On board the Asgard, Molly Childers and Mary Spring Rice, pose with some of the 900 Mauser Riffles brought over from Germany, during the Howth Gun Running, 26 July 1914. Many women revolutionaries played a pivotal role during the uprising, and had it not been for their heroic efforts, the revolution might not have gone ahead as planned."
    I wouldnt cross her!
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/453245149974373724/