Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Identifying authentic US Issued 2003 "Most Wanted" playing cards

Article about: Hey all. I wanted to pose this question because of the amounts of reproductions out there for the 2003 US issued "Most Wanted" playing cards. Everybody seems to be convinced that t

?

Default Identifying authentic US Issued 2003 "Most Wanted" playing cards

Hey all. I wanted to pose this question because of the amounts of reproductions out there for the 2003 US issued "Most Wanted" playing cards.

Everybody seems to be convinced that they have the correct version of these playing cards. What did the authentic ones look like? How can we identify them compared to the reproductions?

To show how many there were, here's four examples from eBay from different sellers who claim they're all real:
    Identifying authentic US Issued 2003 "Most Wanted" playing cardsIdentifying authentic US Issued 2003 "Most Wanted" playing cards
    Identifying authentic US Issued 2003 "Most Wanted" playing cardsIdentifying authentic US Issued 2003 "Most Wanted" playing cards

MAP
    ?

Interesting. I remember seeing these many many years ago. I can see how they will become collectable. Should have picked some up way back when.

As to what are original...I do not know.

For what it is worth, here is some info on what to look for.....(don't always believe Wiki)

Most-wanted Iraqi playing cards - Wikipedia
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

During the early stages of the 2nd Gulf War (OIF) the search for many of Saddam Hussein's Generals and other HVTs (High Value Targets) were of great importance. The mass production of these cards were contracted out to many companies in order to quickly distribute these to the ground troops for quick recognition. Each of the decks you pictured in a sense are all real. The most common decks that I am familiar with is the bottom right with the picture of Saddam on the box. I think I still have a few decks, as these were so common and it seemed like everyone was given a deck of these cards. Initially due to shortages only a few decks were given to each unit and they were dispersed throughout. Later when more decks were printed, (again by many contracted companies) they started to make their way into everyone's hands.

Everything looks fine with these 4 decks that you have shown. Unopened decks tend to also bring a little more to the table. I won't comment on value as we don't do that here and since there are many sites you can look at to get an estimate, we recommend that you some research and you will get a good idea of asking prices.. You can actually go back and see CCN (General Brooks) and other news stations when the military was briefing the media with these cards being exhibited in poster size uncut versions that showed the top Iraqi HVT's that we were looking for and the lack of large amounts that were initially available. The media was upset because they couldn't get their hands on a deck of these cards when they first started showing up in theater because the priority was getting them to the ground units looking for these HVTs...

Also realize that there were many folks on the ground looking for these guys not just the US Armed Forces and Allied Nations but the CIA, DIA, FBI, MI-6, SAS and others were there, ATF was there and many other Government entities so just imagine the distribution requirements fro each of these organizations, so it was only logical to have multiple companies like Liberty Playing Card Company, United States Playing Card Company and some of the other card companies were contracted by Government agencies to mass produce these for theater wide distribution...

Hope this sheds some light on your question..

Smitty

I bought mine in a US PX in Kuwait, in May 2003 when I was deployed on ops. They were selling like hotcakes. They were also selling zippo lighters with the slogan "Iraq Freedom 2003" and "Barrelling to Baghdad"....................... Well that was optimistic!!

I still have 2 unopened packs, plus some bits I liberated from Saddam's Palace in Baghdad........................ Real or not, it is always a sombre reminder of how politicians lie like cheap Japanese watches!

?

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    During the early stages of the 2nd Gulf War (OIF) the search for many of Saddam Hussein's Generals and other HVTs (High Value Targets) were of great importance. The mass production of these cards were contracted out to many companies in order to quickly distribute these to the ground troops for quick recognition. Each of the decks you pictured in a sense are all real. The most common decks that I am familiar with is the bottom right with the picture of Saddam on the box. I think I still have a few decks, as these were so common and it seemed like everyone was given a deck of these cards. Initially due to shortages only a few decks were given to each unit and they were dispersed throughout. Later when more decks were printed, (again by many contracted companies) they started to make their way into everyone's hands.

Everything looks fine with these 4 decks that you have shown. Unopened decks tend to also bring a little more to the table.
    Thanks for your detailed and high quality post. I wasn't sure if there was only one company contracted by government agencies to produce these. Everybody seems to be pointing fingers at which one's are real and not real. The bottom left one seems to be the most commonly found deck while the top right seemed to be the most difficult.

Thanks for the post!

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    I bought mine in a US PX in Kuwait, in May 2003 when I was deployed on ops. They were selling like hotcakes. They were also selling zippo lighters with the slogan "Iraq Freedom 2003" and "Barrelling to Baghdad"....................... Well that was optimistic!!

I still have 2 unopened packs, plus some bits I liberated from Saddam's Palace in Baghdad........................ Real or not, it is always a sombre reminder of how politicians lie like cheap Japanese watches!
    What do your decks look like? Any of the examples I posted or something different?

The bottom right with Saddam's mug on it and the desert camo in the background are the decks that I have

Smitty

I have the Defence Intelligence Agency ones

?

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    I have the Defence Intelligence Agency ones
    That's really cool. Did you serve or obtain them as a collector?