Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese P.o.W paperwork items

Article about: Taking a leaf out of GIZMO8Z's book I put a poster in my wife's' Tea shop some months ago asking for any unwanted WW2 militaria. Up until now I have heard lots of wonderful and interesting s

Default Japanese P.o.W paperwork items - Stanley Internment Camp, Hong Kong

Taking a leaf out of GIZMO8Z's book I put a poster in my wife's' Tea shop some months ago asking for any unwanted WW2 militaria. Up until now I have heard lots of wonderful and interesting stories of WW2 and about various items, however, have not been offered anything (for money or otherwise, i.e. free tea and cake!) and then a couple of days ago a regular customer asked my wife whether I would be interested in any paperwork relating to a family member who was captured by the Japanese. My wife of course said yes and the next day he brought in an envelope containing the below items. Unfortunately my wife is tone deaf in one ear and the good ear does not respond to anything WW2 related and goes into shut down mode so I don't know the full story about the customers relative, however, from her memory (baring in mind that the time from her last speaking to the customer to me receiving the envelope was about 3 hours!) the items belonged to the customers uncle and aunty. Apparently they were both interred by the Japanese, the aunty as a civilian and the uncle as a prisoner of war as he was in the Merchant Navy. As is the norm in these cases neither talked about the war, however, the aunty did write a journal/diary about her experiences (although this may have been written after the war). The customer is (quite rightly) keeping the journal, however, is letting me have a look at it in the next couple of weeks. He very kindly gifted me the below items as nobody in his family has strong ties to the aunty and uncle and he was concerned that they would just get thrown away and wanted them to go to a good home. I am hoping to see him in the next few weeks to get the full story.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese P.o.W paperwork items   Japanese P.o.W paperwork items  

Japanese P.o.W paperwork items   Japanese P.o.W paperwork items  

Last edited by Grimebox; 01-19-2013 at 04:55 PM.

?

Default Re: Japanese P.o.W paperwork items

A nice piece of history
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Default Re: Japanese P.o.W paperwork items

The gentleman lent me the below diary/journal, a photograph of his uncle and his medal ribbons (He can be seen wearing them in the photo - Left to right, 39-45 Star, Italian Star, Pacific Star (worn around the wrong way I think) with Burma clasp and the 39-45 medal.)
    The diary/journal has notes in the back which correspond with the account written, I can only surmise that Mrs HAMILTON wrote the notes when released from internment or on her journey back to England and then wrote the account. Rather than transcribe it I have photographed the pages, her handwriting is a little bit difficult to decipher in places, however, it is a very interesting account.
    The internment camp was 'Stanley Internment camp' in Hong Kong;

Stanley Internment Camp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is interesting to note that Mrs HAMILTON states that 17 people dies in the American bombing incident, as opposed to the 14 stated on Wikipedia.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese P.o.W paperwork items   Japanese P.o.W paperwork items