Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Looking for any info/pictures regarding Merril's Marauders from the SEA theatre of WW2

Article about: My great uncle served in the Merril's Marauders and was KIA in Burma. Unfortunately I don't have much info about his service. I checked out this website, MERRILL'S MARAUDERS "PASS IN RE

Default Looking for any info/pictures regarding Merril's Marauders from the SEA theatre of WW2

My great uncle served in the Merril's Marauders and was KIA in Burma. Unfortunately I don't have much info about his service.

I checked out this website, MERRILL'S MARAUDERS "PASS IN REVIEW" and found him listed there...

"Coon, Barlow G. - 32138146 - Pvt. - 5307th - K.I.A. May 18, 1944
    (Gen. Merrill's Orderly, Myitkyina)"

Dumb question, does this mean he was Merrill's personal orderly or just an orderly for the group? lol

I'm taking a shot in the dark to see if anyone has any interesting information or some pictures of Merril's Marauders. I'd love to be able to spot him in a pic.

Cheers!

Default Re: Looking for any info/pictures regarding Merril's Marauders from the SEA theatre of WW2

From the wording I'd take it to be his personal orderly. Quite exciting for you if so, good luck.

Default Re: Looking for any info/pictures regarding Merril's Marauders from the SEA theatre of WW2

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    From the wording I'd take it to be his personal orderly. Quite exciting for you if so, good luck.
    Thanks! I think I'm going to need it. I'm in contact with some family members to get some more info. If I find any interesting photos or paper docs, I'll update this thread.

Here's some info about the action in which your Great Uncle was killed. It makes sobering reading that's for sure.

Battle of Myitkyina | World War II Database

Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.