Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A Marine With A Unique Skill

Article about: Hello everyone, I've got a fairly large grouping of documents, photos and other items that belonged to Donald Hampton who served in the Marines from 1943-1945. The photograph collection incl

?

Default A Marine With A Unique Skill

Hello everyone,

I've got a fairly large grouping of documents, photos and other items that belonged to Donald Hampton who served in the Marines from 1943-1945. The photograph collection includes dozens of photos (including many in an album) and over 100 negatives. I've only been able to have a few prints made so far: the digital quality helps I think. The photos include his training and while in theater, and include numerous captured weapons and other pieces of equipment.

I believed that Mr. Hampton initially trained as a radio operator at New River in 1943, but his fine mechanical talent and training as a civilian in his family's business, sent him in another direction in the Corps. He was sent to the Elgin Watch College for training in watch repair, a skill that he would put to use when stationed in Guam. I believe that his unit was part of the invasion, or at there at least soon after. I noticed in some of the posted photos and others that I have that weapons were kept-at-the-ready, even as he undertook his watch repair duty.

Thanks for taking a look!.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A Marine With A Unique Skill   A Marine With A Unique Skill  

A Marine With A Unique Skill   A Marine With A Unique Skill  

Cheers for showing Tom, fantastic lot! can't wait to seeing more negs digitized and hope you are digitizing them yourself?

?

Great collection of Documents and pic's.

Semper Fi
    Phil

The wartime photos are very interesting.

?

Thanks guys for your comments. I plan to post more as soon as I get a chance.

Rene, I had these professionally digitized. It was a little pricey, and has limited my ability to have more printed. Also, the local camera shop that did the job has since closed. I am hesitant to send the negatives in the mail to some place. I guess I could check into buying a scanner of some kind.......any recommendations? Tom

Quote by hftiii View Post
    Thanks guys for your comments. I plan to post more as soon as I get a chance.

Rene, I had these professionally digitized. It was a little pricey, and has limited my ability to have more printed. Also, the local camera shop that did the job has since closed. I am hesitant to send the negatives in the mail to some place. I guess I could check into buying a scanner of some kind.......any recommendations? Tom
    I have this USB scanner that didn't cost a lot under a 50 at a local supermarket!, I'm sure you could find an equivalent?
    here's an old neg 35mm result from a crap camera! (my late dog Gemmi)

That's a great tip Rene, I need something like that myself. My mother has boxes of old slide transparencies, I've never know what to do with them.

?

Thanks Rene. I will definitely look into it. I think if would be a good investment. My negatives are a little wider than the 35 mm from the 60's and 70's that I'm use to, but maybe it still work.

Tom

MAP
    ?

Love the photos!! Lets see some more!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Here are more pics of Mr. Hampton in training at New River, in Chicago (at Elgin Watch Co.), and in Guam. Thanks for looking!

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A Marine With A Unique Skill   A Marine With A Unique Skill  

A Marine With A Unique Skill  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast