Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Munich Olympics coin set 1972 remember that?

Article about: Pick up this silver coin set,its from the 1972 Olympics in Munich.Remember the hostage crisis?I was only 16 when this was going on,it was a bad time for the Olympics and Germany.

Default Munich Olympics coin set 1972 remember that?

Pick up this silver coin set,its from the 1972 Olympics in Munich.Remember the hostage crisis?I was only 16 when this was going on,it was a sad time for the Olympics and Germany.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Munich Olympics coin set 1972 remember that?   Munich Olympics coin set 1972 remember that?  

Munich Olympics coin set 1972 remember that?   Munich Olympics coin set 1972 remember that?  

Munich Olympics coin set 1972 remember that?   Munich Olympics coin set 1972 remember that?  

Munich Olympics coin set 1972 remember that?  

IF you are still around kind person, do you mind sharing with me where these coins were minted?!?!

A great complete set..

Wow, I remember the hostages too and the news coverage.. I was young but I still remember.. My wife (who is German) remembers it like it was yesterday....

The coins were minted in West Germany.. Keep in mind that there was an East Germany during this period...

There should be four different mint marks on the coins..

D for Munich, F for Stuttgart, G for Karlsruhe, and J for Hamburg.

Smitty

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    A great complete set..
    The coins were minted in West Germany.. Keep in mind that there was an East Germany during this period...
    There should be four different mint marks on the coins..

D for Munich, F for Stuttgart, G for Karlsruhe, and J for Hamburg.

Smitty
    Smitty, I was curious about the mint marks and their locations, solid work sir.

I don't think this set actually counts as militaria or has anything to do with the WWII western allies, and to see members here talking of the hostage crisis when what we are actually talking about was the brutal murder of 11 Israeli athletes and one West German Police officer and is mostly known these days as the Munich Massacre.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

TWS
    ?

I was just a toddler at the time, but of course have watched documentaries etc. about the Massacre.

The movie about the retaliation was good, pretty gripping.

YouTube
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Didnt mean to personally offend you Jerry by posting this,sorry if it sounds un careing,that was not the intention.It was made in West Germany before the unification.Germany was divided in half because of ww2 so that gives it a little historical reference to the war.Yeah Todd thanks for the link, they sure got some payback and then some.These coin sets were made up before the Munich Massacre happened,I dont think they would have made them after.