Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Grandads photos

Article about: Thought I would share some of my grandads photo's. He was a farrier in the hussars before becoming attached to air formation signals. The pictures are from Iraq (Bassra), N Africa and Italy

Default My Grandads photos

Thought I would share some of my grandads photo's. He was a farrier in the hussars before becoming attached to air formation signals. The pictures are from Iraq (Bassra), N Africa and Italy and outside his home before shipping off abroad.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Grandads photos   My Grandads photos  

My Grandads photos   My Grandads photos  

Default Re: My Grandads photos

my grandad is on the right on the three pictures

Nice pictures.

?

hi dave , some great family history you have there smashing photos ,
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

interesting pictures,thanks for sharing them with us!
    Is he still alive?
    Regards

Matt

Some great photos "davesap250"

Unfortunatly he died when I was really young. I only have bits of stories that happened to him. He never talked about the war much like most veterans.

Whilst awaiting his deployment he went AWOL. This was because my Gran was having a baby (my auntie). He made it to the top of his street where the RMPs picked him up. He begged them to let him be there for the birth but they just took him back to his camp. I don't think he ever forgave them for this.

I know he got caught up in a German minefield whilst setting up signals equipment. They were right in the middle when someone shouted at them and the danger they were in. The men he was with all got out safely.

Whilst patrolling into an Italian village. Women and children lined the road killed by retreating Germans. (I have no idea what units he was fighting against)

I know his best friend shot himself with my Grandads rifle which really affected him.

He was at the spot where the pictures of Mussolini's body were taken only days after it happened.

He also used to dabble on the black market alot. He would send home chocolate and big tins of jam home to my Gran. Him and two other friends also got hold of a staff car on the black market. No idea how or what he did with it!

He returned home safely after being demobbed in 1945. I have some of his documentation including a pay book and Italian phrase book. I'll get pictures of these on here. When he did return home he had been away for over three years but returned speaking fluent Italian. When he had arguments with my gran he would break into Italian on purpose which really annoyed her!!
    After the war he ran a small bus and taxi firm in Lincolnshire doing the school bus run. He and my gran then ran a village shop for a few years before retiring. He died in 1983.

Hope this is of some interest to you all. Thanks for your comments

A handsome lad, and very distinguished looking with the moustache !

Great family history, Dave,

Thanks for posting them !
    Regards,

Steve.

Fascinating info on your dad Dave. Make sure and record all of that, cause the older you get, you'll start forgetting little snippets. He had quite an adventure abroad. You must be proud of him. Thanks for giving us a peek!

Jay

Two more pictures I have scanned on.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Grandads photos   My Grandads photos  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast