MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Northants Regt Group to Clp R Harrison

Article about: Hi Guys, I was at a general antiques fair five years here in the UK. I noticed an "AB64" Soldiers service & pay book on the stall. I picked it up then noticed a few photos here

Default Northants Regt Group to Clp R Harrison

Hi Guys, I was at a general antiques fair five years here in the UK. I noticed an "AB64" Soldiers service & pay book on the stall. I picked it up then noticed a few photos here and there plus a hardbound Regimental history book. I then realised the lady who was selling them had split a complete soldiers paperwork and photos up! I enquired and found that behind the stall was a large group photo too, plus a shoe box of other pics, letters and a 1944 "Services diary", plus a pocket sized photo album. Even though I do not collect this Regt. I could not bear to see them split up. I struck a deal with the lady and walked away with the lot for a bargain price of £20.

Once I got home and began reading the diary entries, it turned out he was at Anzio!

I will begin with a photo of the soldier concerned, seen here as a Private, when he first joined up.

Ronald Harrison 5889648, 13th Platoon, B Coy. 50th Battl. Northants Regt.

He later made Corporal and was given a glowing report by his former CO in his soldiers service record which also came with the group. These must have all come from a house clearance. The soldier only lived 5 miles away from us. The shoe box full of pics spanned the chaps entire life, with photos of his wedding, etc, there was even the documents for the purchase of a plot of land for his house. There are some nice letters and photos from a couple of Belgian children with whom he was billeted with in 1945. One of the envelopes was made from a US 1944 dated map, they were so short of materials. They continued to write to him as they grew up in the 1950's.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Northants Regt Group to Clp R Harrison  

Default Re: Northants Regt Group to Clp R Harrison

Here is a very general overview of some the group. The large group photo is nice as everyone on it is named. There are many many more pics, which I will show later in the thread.

Also shown is the colour plate pages from the Regimental History for the 2nd Battl Northants Regt. The title eludes to the Regt former name in days gone by, the 58th of Foot. This, like most unit histories, are invaluable for researchers and are eagerly sought after. In fact, at the show where I bought the group, a dealer friend of mine wanted me to sell it to him for £35.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Northants Regt Group to Clp R Harrison   Northants Regt Group to Clp R Harrison  

A few more from the Regimental history book, published in 1947. The detail in these type of books is invaluable to the researcher.

This one has various pull out maps and charts. The entry about the rations issued is the sort of stuff I find fasinating.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Northants Regt Group to Clp R Harrison   Northants Regt Group to Clp R Harrison  

Northants Regt Group to Clp R Harrison  

Here we have his AB64. This is a re-issue. Naturally these books, which were carried at all times, took at battering. Re-issues are not unknown but are always noted as being a certified copy.

Northants Regt Group to Clp R Harrison   Northants Regt Group to Clp R Harrison  

?

Ade great save . It would have been wrong to break the lot up. Did you ever drive by his house to see where he lived? Gary

Hi Gary, yes I did.

Cheers, Ade.

There are entries for the courses he undertook. He was in "S" or Support Company. This was not some kind of service unit but the Heavy Weapons Coy, and he operated the Medium Machine gun, the famous water cooled Vickers MG of WW1 vintage but still used to deadly effect in WW2. ( I one of these in my collection)

The award entries. Just look at how many Campaigns he fought in. The 1st Army clasp would have been worn on the Africa Star. (From a postcard in the group I know he landed at Algiers Dec. 6th 1942)

In addition he got the 1939-45 Star, Italy Star and the France & Germany Star.

This testimonial was tucked inside the pocket located in the back of his AB64. I think this glowing report would be hard to beat? A C/O would write this in order to help a soldier to obtain a good job once he was de-mobbed.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Northants Regt Group to Clp R Harrison  

?

Ade to bad you didn't find it at the house clearance just think what else could have been there. As always great items.

Gary

Hi Gary, yes, I often wonder about the medals....

Here we have a 1940 dated postcard photograph. On the reverse he had written :

"Photo of all the Sgts, WO's, the Commanding Officer & Adjud taken at Colchester Roman Way Barracks. 6th battl N/H REGT 1940."

Little would they know that the Roman way connection would perhaps come back to haunt them during the long fight through Italy....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast