Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Northants Regt Group to Clp R Harrison

Article about: Hi Guys, I was at a general antiques fair five years here in the UK. I noticed an "AB64" Soldiers service & pay book on the stall. I picked it up then noticed a few photos here

Default Re: Northants Regt Group to Clp R Harrison

Some photos now taken in Italy. I particularly like the one of his face superimposed upon the Regt's cap badge, no doubt the product of an enterprising Italian photographer's studio.

The pic showing him with a comrade was taken in Pignaturo near Naples.

The postcard print where he has a bandaged arm is dated Oct. 18th 1943 and was sent to his Mother.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Northants Regt Group to Clp R Harrison   Northants Regt Group to Clp R Harrison  

A hand coloured postcard photo taken in Ismailia on Aug. 14th 1944. No doubt taken while on leave in Egypt.

The other photo is not dated, but I suspect it was also taken in Egypt, just look at those sun tans!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Northants Regt Group to Clp R Harrison   Northants Regt Group to Clp R Harrison  

Here is one of my favourite item in the group, the 1944 diary.

The cover shows badges from all the arms of service.

The inside is inscribed from his wife. Note how she calls him "Tim" and not Ronald. It seems that most people apart from his Mum called him that. Note also her pet name of "De-Di" and not Edna.

I like the spare needle he kept tucked inside.

The diary was full of the usual practical info, plus a pic of the His Majesty the King.

Northants Regt Group to Clp R Harrison   Northants Regt Group to Clp R Harrison  

A couple of the entries.

These are both funny and poinant. Read what he says..

There are various little cuttings, calling cards, photos, etc, tucked inside.

These photos were taken in NW Europe after the unit moved to Belgium. His unit was mounted in Universal Carriers.

As a mentioned at the start of this thread, he was billited with a Belgian family. Here is the home made envelope. It seems he enjoyed his time with them and they often wrote to him. I wonder if the young boy who wrote to him back then is still alive today?

Note the newspaper cliping complaining on how British families did not take in soldiers like their Belgian counterparts....

Northants Regt Group to Clp R Harrison   Northants Regt Group to Clp R Harrison  

A final photo taken in Lenglern near Gotting, Germany on 20th October 1945. Named on the back:

"Tm, Bert, Wilf & Jos"

This document, the Soldiers Release Book, was given to all soldiers who left the Army as a record of their service.

That concludes my thread. A brave soldier who fought many a campaign and came through to see Home again.

Cheers, Ade.

?

great read Ade , i wonder what he did back in civvy street ?

cheers Al

Hi Al, he was a brickmaker before the war.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2