Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

One for the allies.

Article about: Guys, Found this among a group of loose German photos, I can't remember if I posted it so If I have I'm sorry. I think it must be shortly after the war and I like his company car. Jock

Default One for the allies.

Guys,

Found this among a group of loose German photos, I can't remember if I posted it so If I have I'm sorry. I think it must be shortly after the war and I like his company car.

Jock
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture One for the allies.  

Default Re: One for the allies.

Nice "Bug" photo Jock !

Any date on the back ?

Regards,

Steve.

Steve,

Sorry, I don't think there was, its lost in the boxes now (working on cellar). I will check when I rediscover it.

Jock

Hi Jock, you had not posted it before, as I would have remembered such a fantastic photo!

Div signs for the British 11th Armoured Div.

Cheers, Ade.

CMc
    ?

That's a great picture, thanks for sharing it!

I don't know if it adds anything to the history you've already got, but as well as a small number of KdF-Wagens built for civilians and Nazi officials pre war, and the staff car models built during the war, following the war the British Army was left in control of the Wolfsburg factory, and having helped to rebuild it had Beetles made for the British Army, before allowing the Volkswagen company to start civilian production, with the rest being famous and what would become known as the Beetle being the best selling single model of car ever.

I think the car in the picture is a post war Beetle, made specifically for the British Army, rather than a commandeered pre-war KdF-Wagen or a wartime German staff car model, which as far as I know had the four wheel drive chassis from the Schimmwagen, and would certainly sit higher and on wider wheels than that one does.

Quote by CMc View Post
    That's a great picture, thanks for sharing it!

I don't know if it adds anything to the history you've already got, but as well as a small number of KdF-Wagens built for civilians and Nazi officials pre war, and the staff car models built during the war, following the war the British Army was left in control of the Wolfsburg factory, and having helped to rebuild it had Beetles made for the British Army, before allowing the Volkswagen company to start civilian production, with the rest being famous and what would become known as the Beetle being the best selling single model of car ever.

I think the car in the picture is a post war Beetle, made specifically for the British Army, rather than a commandeered pre-war KdF-Wagen or a wartime German staff car model, which as far as I know had the four wheel drive chassis from the Schimmwagen, and would certainly sit higher and on wider wheels than that one does.
    I agree, it looks too shiny for a wartime or pre war. If I remember right it was a REME Major that directed the rebuild of Wolfsburg and even today they love him for it!

Jock

The Majors name was Mj. Hurst. The Americans captured the wolfsburg factory and used as an M/T depot for about 3 months before handing it over to the British as it came within the British controll area. As well as building beetles for the army he also built ,some say 6 schwimmwagens from parts found in the ruins. I used to own the only documented survivor and the data plate had Bou year of 1946.I sold it some years ago. I will now look to see if I can find some pictures of it. John.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture One for the allies.