Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

RAF/USAAF Maps, GEE

Article about: I've obtained some RAF maps from eBay, that I believe are GEE related. I spoke to the seller who lives locally, and he brought me some more paperwork that he had belonging to one RAF Sgt Leo

?

Default RAF/USAAF Maps, GEE

I've obtained some RAF maps from eBay, that I believe are GEE related. I spoke to the seller who lives locally, and he brought me some more paperwork that he had belonging to one RAF Sgt Leonard Galavin who must have been a navigator and had done his training in the southern USA.
    The book on how to behave with Americans is particularly interesting.

RAF/USAAF Maps, GEE

His school book, the date of which probably means his military stuff would be WW2.

RAF/USAAF Maps, GEE

His house today.

RAF/USAAF Maps, GEERAF/USAAF Maps, GEERAF/USAAF Maps, GEERAF/USAAF Maps, GEERAF/USAAF Maps, GEERAF/USAAF Maps, GEERAF/USAAF Maps, GEERAF/USAAF Maps, GEERAF/USAAF Maps, GEERAF/USAAF Maps, GEERAF/USAAF Maps, GEERAF/USAAF Maps, GEERAF/USAAF Maps, GEERAF/USAAF Maps, GEERAF/USAAF Maps, GEERAF/USAAF Maps, GEERAF/USAAF Maps, GEE

RAF/USAAF Maps, GEERAF/USAAF Maps, GEE

The map of Strasbourg, after completing training perhaps?

These will enlarge well for a closer look.

The booklet titled "A Career With A Future" made me think for a bit, but it seems to be post war pay grades.

At some point I believe he was posted to 96 Squadron:

"No. 96 Squadron began its Second World War existence as No. 422 Flight, a night fighter unit equipped with the Hurricane. The flight was redesignated as No. 96 Squadron on 18 December 1940, and continued to operate as a night fighter unit until the end of 1944.

For the first two years of its existence the squadron had to make do with the Hurricane and the Boulton Paul Defiant, neither ideal night fighters. However in May 1942 it received the Bristol Beaufighter, and in June 1943 the de Havilland Mosquito, both aircraft well suited to the night fighter role.

From 1940 until April 1943 the squadron was used as a defensive night fighter unit. From April-June 1943 it used its Beaufighters to fly intruder missions over occupied Europe, but when the Mosquitoes arrived the squadron began to prepare for a move overseas.

This move was soon cancelled, and from August 1943 to June 1944 the squadron reverted to its defensive duties. No.96 squadron took part in the D-Day landings, providing night fighter cover over the invasion beaches in the expectation that the Germans would launch heavy night attacks on the beaches. After D-Day the squadron moved back to defensive duties, this time operating against V-1 flying bombs that were hitting London at night.

This first incarnation of No. 96 Squadron was disbanded on 12 December 1944. Two weeks later, on 30 December, a new No.96 Squadron was formed, this time as part of Transport Command. At first it operated the Halifax C.Mk III, but in March it left for the Far East, where it operated the Dakota. Once in India the squadron prepared for glider and parachute operations, providing some detachments for operations during the invasion of Burma.

Aircraft
    December 1940-August 1941: Hawker Hurricane I
    July 1941-March 1942: Hawker Hurricane IIC
    February 1941-June 1942: Boulton Paul Defiant I and IA
    February 1941-June 1942: Boulton Paul Defiant II
    May 1942-June 1943: Bristol Beaufighter II
    September 1942-August 1942: Bristol Beaufighter VI
    June 1943-August 1943: De Havilland Mosquito XII
    August 1943-December 1944: De Havilland Mosquito XIII"

Best Regards,

Andy
    Last edited by aj4010; 02-27-2013 at 06:30 AM.