Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Rare Japanese POW camp envelope to British soldier

Article about: It's been awhile since I've posted much, but I have to share this with everyone. I can't begin to imagine how rare something like this is. It is part of an envelope, sent from someone in New

Default Rare Japanese POW camp envelope to British soldier

It's been awhile since I've posted much, but I have to share this with everyone.

I can't begin to imagine how rare something like this is. It is part of an envelope, sent from someone in Newcastle to a Sergeant at the Taiwan POW camp. The man's name on the paper is N. Streeting, but after a little research, I discovered he was Norman H. Streeting of the Royal Army Ordnance Corps. He was born around 1919 and died in 1999. His name is confirmed as a POW there through the powtaiwan.org website and was at the Taihoku camp #6 located on the north side of the island.

I have never seen letters or things sent to Japanese camps, usually just some things coming from them. I don't know how this would have survived. It was in a large collection of CBI theater items I will be selling in the upcoming weeks. Rare Japanese POW camp envelope to British soldier

?

Default Re: Rare Japanese POW camp envelope to British soldier

an amazing find , i look forward to seeing the other items you have
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Ailsa
    ?

Hi,

Just found this and was curious as to what happened to it?

Norman Streeting was my Grandad and this was probably a letter from from my Grandmother who lived in Newcastle at the time.

Quote by Ailsa View Post
    Hi,

Just found this and was curious as to what happened to it?

Norman Streeting was my Grandad and this was probably a letter from from my Grandmother who lived in Newcastle at the time.
    Oh my gosh, that's amazing. I sold it on eBay back in 2010. I have some old records from my previous sales I will look at but I can't promise I will come up with anything.

Mike

Ailsa
    ?

Just wish i had seen it back in 2010.

If you can find anything out then it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Ailsa

Alisa,
    I just sent a message to the person I sold it to on Ebay back on Dec 31st 2010. Hopefully they will get back with me as I would really like to get it in your hands. I know if I ever came across something of one of my family, I would want the same.

Mike

I have great news. Alisa, I sent you a PM.

Mike

?

I'd love to know how this all works out. Alisa I hope you manage to get your grandfathers item back.

Alex

...me too!
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Alisa,
    This is quite frustrating. I went through my records, found and contacted the buyer from 2010 and they found the envelope in their collection and were willing to sell it to you for the price they paid. I PMed you but did not receive a response. If you are really interested in getting this back with the family, please let me know soon or the buyer might change his mind.

Mike