Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Return Ticket

Article about: Hi everyone, Not sure this is the subforum but I thought that I'd post a recent find. My local library has a donated books-section (a lot I am sure come from estates) with a great selection

?

Default Return Ticket

Hi everyone,

Not sure this is the subforum but I thought that I'd post a recent find. My local library has a donated books-section (a lot I am sure come from estates) with a great selection of books for sale. Paperbacks are $0.25 and hardcovers are $1.00. Going through these the other day I found a signed copy of Carl Carlson's book, Return Ticket: My diary as a POW Airman in WWII. I'm currently reading it and its a pretty good book. Its a great addition to my collection of military books. I've attached some interesting background and photos and also his experience are described in bomb group information online. His original plane, "Messie Bessie," was undergoing repair when he and rest of crew were sent on a mission with a replacement B-17, Return Ticket (as he states in book the name gave him a little comfort). Nevertheless, he was shot down over France in June 1944. He recounts many interesting experiences, but what stands out for me the most was his intense hunger during his near year-long captivity. I can't help but think about the feast I had several times over the holidays and how lucky I am.

I found Mr. Carlson's obituary: Carl R. Carlson, beloved husband, father, grandfather, brother, uncle and friend died on January 19, 2013 at the age of 90. He was born in Elgin, Texas and his early years were spent on a cotton farm. He retired from the Alamo Heights USPS in 1984. He was a member of Alamo Heights United Methodist Church, the Kum Doubler Sunday School Class and a church usher for many years. He loved playing the Clavinova, working with stained glass, baking bread the old fashioned way, deer hunting in the Texas hill country and visiting with dear friends. He was a member for over 60 years of the Lonnie Irvin Daylight Masonic Lodge No. 1309 A.F. & A.M. . He was a 32 degree member of the Scottish Rite Freemasonry, American Ex-Prisoners of War, Military Order of the Purple Heart, 8th Air Force and 100th Bomb Group. Carl served during WWII and was stationed at Thorpe Abbots Air Base in England. His plane was shot down on the 25th mission and he was a POW in Germany until the end of the war. In 2001, the diary he kept as a POW was published and titled "Return Ticket".

Keys for the crew photograph:

ROTH, George L. - P
    LeBARON, Warren F. - CP
    SHOSS, David - NAV
    SVENDSEN, Carl H. - BOM
    SCHULTZ, Joseph W. - TOG/NG
    REYNOLDS, Burl L. - ROG
    YATES, Willie B. - ROG
    HUNTER, Paul E. - BTG
    ALLEN, Glen J. - WG
    CARLSON, Carl R. - WG
    RULONG, Harry E. - TG

"MESSIE BESSIE" - George Roth Crew: Standing L-R: David Shoss, Carl L. Svendsen, Warren LeBaron, George L. Roth; Kneeling L-R: Harry Rulong, Burl Reynolds, Glen J. Allen. Carl R. Carlson, Paul E. Hunter, Willie B. Yates.

Source of this information was the :: Official Website of the 100th Bomb Group (Heavy) Foundation

Thanks for looking.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Return Ticket   Return Ticket  

Return Ticket   Return Ticket  

Return Ticket