MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Robert Falcon Scott TERRA NOVA PHOTOS

Article about: Hey guys, I wanted to share these photos for Big Ned to see, but also for everyone else who may enjoy. My Fathers been going down to Antarctica for the past 2 winters and is going again in a

Default Robert Falcon Scott TERRA NOVA PHOTOS

Hey guys, I wanted to share these photos for Big Ned to see, but also for everyone else who may enjoy. My Fathers been going down to Antarctica for the past 2 winters and is going again in a few weeks for a 3rd season. He previously had worked at Byrd Surface Camp as a equipment operator and scientist assistant. Last season while out with the research group they gained permission and access to Robert Falcon Scott's Terra Nova Hut at Cape Evans. The Hut itself is a time capsule once you step inside. Tools, bedding, scientist equipment, food, dishes, horse stables, horse manure, furniture, everything is left in its original state due to the extreme cold temperatures keeping organism from decomposing anything. The Penguin laying on the table for studies is frozen in time. It was really amazing looking threw these pictures for myself, so i hope some on here may enjoy them as well. I am not as informed on Scott's Military History so feel free to add any bits of info you guys may have.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Robert Falcon Scott TERRA NOVA PHOTOS   Robert Falcon Scott TERRA NOVA PHOTOS  

Robert Falcon Scott TERRA NOVA PHOTOS   Robert Falcon Scott TERRA NOVA PHOTOS  

Attached Images Attached Images Robert Falcon Scott TERRA NOVA PHOTOS 

Default Re: Robert Falcon Scott TERRA NOVA PHOTOS

last 3 photos are historical photos available via google image, interesting to see the now and then of the head table.

?

Outstanding photos. It must be a great pleasure to step back in time like that.

thank you.loved them.

Glad to Share them.

Hi Garrett,

Thanks for putting these photo's up, they are truly superb! I have a longtime interest in this subject and others of bravery and derring do, often against hopeless odds. The images are nice because they show details often not seen, the penguin being an example...Brilliant!!

Many thanks, and all the best to your old man! Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hey Ned, glad you enjoyed them, these were just a few of the pics he had taken, Ill go threw the rest and see if there's any more other interesting photos with good detail. I like the penguin pic as well, and the LONDON NEWS sitting right beside it on the table at the same time. Thanks for the comment he heads out in about 10 days now for the season. Saskatchewan Canada -> Denver Co. -> Christchurch New Zealand and then the C-17 compliments of US Air Force to Mcmurdo Antarctica headquarters, gear up and off to the research camp.

These are fantastic pics.

Thanks for showing them.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

I never knew this existed but what a piece of true history, your Dad must be very priviledged to be able to step back in time like this

He loves this kind of history, and after entering it he found out its not very common to gain access to the inside of the building, its preserved there just the way it was as an unwritten sort of monumental museum, but certain scientists and people are allowed to get one of the keys to access it. New Zealand has volunteered I believe he said to maintain its security and well being.