Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Royal air force edition map

Article about: Goodmorning Gents came upon this map on the weekend it is marked ENGLAND SOUTH-ROYAL AIR FORCE EDITION-SHEET 11 FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY Three things drew me to this map ( 1 ) was the detail (

?

Default Royal air force edition map

Goodmorning Gents came upon this map on the weekend it is marked
    ENGLAND SOUTH-ROYAL AIR FORCE EDITION-SHEET 11
    FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY
    Three things drew me to this map ( 1 ) was the detail ( 2 ) was the color of the print ( 3 ) was the construction the back of the map is embedded with mesh to strenghten it which leads me to believe it was to be issued to Air crews. The map is so dated 1934 but I do believe it was carried over and used into the war years as there are amendments to the magnetic declination/variation dated from 1938 -1942 with the addition of Artillery,Mortar,AA,Bombing and Balloon fly zones I know on post war maps these areas would be labeled so that aviators knew were there safe fly zones were and what corridors they could use for safe flying I am assuming the same is so for this map or were these areas also active emplacements for the network of defence set up all over England during the war.

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal air force edition map   Royal air force edition map  

Royal air force edition map   Royal air force edition map  

Royal air force edition map  

Default Re: Royal air force edition map

Cool map, I have a few old maps, pre war German reprints of OS maps of areas of the UK, as well as some 50's OS maps and even modern ones I find interesting.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I like it too, I find it fascinating to see how the landscape has changed by comparing wartime maps with todays

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

It was one of thoughs items you just could not walk away from I am trying to find a nice old frame to put it in and it will be displayed on my wall in my collection that is dedicated to England and the commonwealth. I am looking for nice original wartime photos of AA,Balloons,ArtillerySpitfires,Hurricanes and bombers on the ground at air fields to display in the cut out version of the map thanks for the comments gents.

Regards Mark K

I used to live near the artillery range/gun battery shown at Lavernock, near Penarth (shown in the first map detail you posted) and posted pictures in the after the battle section.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thanks Jerry I will have to check it out .

Regards Mark K